Just Bought the Artis.

Artis' astonishing sound quality, dependability and ease-of-use help you take your performance to the next level!

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Fozzer, Saul

Denv12

Just Bought the Artis.

Unread post by Denv12 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:45 am

CAM02217 (384 x 512).jpg
Artis still in its box.
I bought the new Kuzweil Artis 88 note stage piano.I decided I didnt want/need a workstation type synthesiser.
I hunted around looking at all my options.Pianos like Roland RD series,Nord,and Kurzweil's.
I was just about to buy the Kurzweil SP5-8 for under $2000 when they told me they were out of stock and wouldnt have any in for several weeks.They offered me the Artis piano instead that was in stock and had plenty of them ready to be delivered.After explaining my situation I was offered the Artis for a great price.My advice is hunt around.Find a good shop who are a manufacturers higher selling retailer.Check the retailers list.

Because I have a disability I dont travel.Everything I need I have to find it online and use the resources of the internet to get answers.For the Artis I found these sites of help:

http://kurzweil.com/products/

http://kurzweil.com/product/artis/

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... H4Q_N4ZeaM

http://kurzweil.com/product/artis/audio/
Here's my opinion:

The quality of the packaging they use is good quality.Just simple stuff thats well thought out.A thick plastic bag for the piano and that white foam/sponge to hold the piano in place.NO damage there.

Its the simplest piano to use with the simplest user manuar to read.It gets even better.Everything is set out in front of you.There are 9 sliders to alter the sounds WHILE you're playing.That in itself makes life easy.Add a layer.Done.Its right there on your screen with buttons under the screen.

The screen is a decent size.Its not the size of the Korg Krome or Yamaha MOXF8 but its still a decent size.My old Roland RD700SX had a similar size screen.

Good quality sounds.There are 256 I think.Its not many compared to stage pianos like the Roland RD series pianos which have more sounds per each instrument bank.For example,compared to other pianos these Kurzweil sounds exceeded my expectations.They are superior quality sounds.Thats what I wanted.

It does layer 4 sounds.Thats what I wanted.After 9 years of using a Roland RD700SX I had to find the piano that could do that.

There are fewer buttons on the Artis compared to the MOXF8.Althought the bank of instruments buttons on the Artis are small compared to Roland RD series.I prefer the RD series buttons because they are bigger.

The weight of the Artis is heavy compared to Korg Krome and the lightest of them all being the Yamaha Mox F8.The only piano I've had thats heavier of all of them was the RD700SX.

Connections are simple.All connections are on the panel facing out to the room.The headphone socket is on the left side facing you.

It doesnt have onboard (built in) drum machine.That a feature that the higher end Kurzweil models have got.They were out of my budget.If I'd had more money I would have gone all out and bought a Forte.

You are paying for quality.You get quality.Its not just a name its a beautiful piano where people designed the piano to be useful and to be user friendly.(easy to use).Everything on it is in a good place.Its well set out.Everything where you need it when you need it.Overall opinion on the Artis,its a beautiful piano for the price.Its worth paying a little extra to get the good quality.I did and its worth it.

If you can get to a store to try them do it.Its worth it.See if its what you want.Ask the staff to explain it to you,ask questions and become familiar with it.If you can compare it to other pianos to see the difference you should do that.

What are your needs? What piano will fill that need? Whats your budget? Look online at those websites catering for best prices.Find a shop that offers a good price and tells you what you want and what you need to know.Does it need a sustain pedal or does it come with one? The Roland RD series do come with a sustain pedal.The RD 700SX did.
Attachments
CAM02263 (512 x 384).jpg
My home studio.
Last edited by Denv12 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Just Bought the Artis.

Unread post by Saul » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:11 am

Looks like a really nice bit of kit and you seem to be very happy with it. How does it sound though, is it what you wanted?
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Denv12

Unread post by Denv12 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:34 am

Saul wrote:Looks like a really nice bit of kit and you seem to be very happy with it. How does it sound though, is it what you wanted?
Until you see a piano in all its glory you dont get to appreciate it.I saw websites and demos of this piano but I had no idea until I set mine up and started using it to be able to appreciate what it is.

I know there are people who cant get to a music shop because of various factors like they live too far away to be able to visit a shop so they buy on ebay or do what I did and take a chance.

The sound quality surpassed my expectations.

I bought a Boss DR3 drum machine today to add to the Artis.Thats all I could afford.Bought from the same shop.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 am

Well I'm just pleased to hear you have bought a quality instrument that you are very happy with :) It's always going to be a bit hit and miss when you are buying online. Many bricks and mortar stores have disappeared with the recession so sometimes online is the only choice plus of course if you can't physically get out and about as much it compounds the issue. Still, we have youtube and the various music sites to inform and help out. At least you won't be wondering about the likes of Korg and Yamaha as you have now tried them and eliminated them from the equation.

Sounds like the Artis is more your sort of instrument and now you have the drum machine your pretty much good to go :)

Do update this thread with more info and thoughts as your journey with the Artis goes forward.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Denv12

Unread post by Denv12 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:04 am

Saul wrote:Well I'm just pleased to hear you have bought a quality instrument that you are very happy with :) It's always going to be a bit hit and miss when you are buying online. Many bricks and mortar stores have disappeared with the recession so sometimes online is the only choice plus of course if you can't physically get out and about as much it compounds the issue. Still, we have youtube and the various music sites to inform and help out. At least you won't be wondering about the likes of Korg and Yamaha as you have now tried them and eliminated them from the equation.

Sounds like the Artis is more your sort of instrument and now you have the drum machine your pretty much good to go :)

Do update this thread with more info and thoughts as your journey with the Artis goes forward.
Its a relief to get this far.I was running out of options and pianos.
Not being able to go anywhere makes buying anything difficult.You have to use whatever resourses online to get the best information.Its a risk.Each piano I've bought gave me the time to try them out without being in a rush.And,I didnt have to rent.Saved some money there.
Its been a hard year with sound modules and pianos.I had no idea I'd be going to this length.Its a test of stamina and patience.I've learnt from these experiences.
Just waiting for the drum machine now.Its on its way from Sydney so allow a few days.
I posted a review earlier today.I'll add to it.
Should the Kurzweil section be able to cater for all Kurzweil models? With a place to post on their individual models?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 am

The Internet in many ways has liberated a lot of people. The amount of information out there is a staggering and of course you can always ask people directly about their experiences. Also the world of online shopping has become immense and with our consumer protection laws here in the UK it's easy to buy something, have it delivered next day or even same day in some cases and then if you don't like it just send it back within 7 days. Of course in the UK it's also easier to get to a store and try things out. We are a relatively small country with a very large population, unlike Australia which is simply massive! so taking a trip to a store is often not an option.

We could open out the Kurzweil section but I am not sure we have the users to post anything in there, apart from yourself of course. Perhaps we could start off with a general Kurzweil section and see where it goes?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Denv12

Unread post by Denv12 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:31 am

Saul wrote:The Internet in many ways has liberated a lot of people. The amount of information out there is a staggering and of course you can always ask people directly about their experiences. Also the world of online shopping has become immense and with our consumer protection laws here in the UK it's easy to buy something, have it delivered next day or even same day in some cases and then if you don't like it just send it back within 7 days. Of course in the UK it's also easier to get to a store and try things out. We are a relatively small country with a very large population, unlike Australia which is simply massive! so taking a trip to a store is often not an option.

We could open out the Kurzweil section but I am not sure we have the users to post anything in there, apart from yourself of course. Perhaps we could start off with a general Kurzweil section and see where it goes?
The internet is all I had.Thats how I do my shopping.
If the RD700sx had been returned from consignment in the same condition I would have kept it.
In Australia if you buy something and it turns out its not what you want you dont get a refund.There has to be a problem with it for it to go back and refunded.I could have been better off if that was the case.
People buying on ebay Australia are all over the country.Some are within hours of any store.The cost to get there and to stay long enough that might require an overnight motel expense.
Then are those who havent got much money but are determined to buy a new piano and pay as little for it.They can dream and lose.16 watchers and only 1 successful bidder with no competition.It was listed 5 times before it sold.I'm assiming the same people watching and a few that wanted it for less than half price. At least it sold. It taught the frugal a lesson.

I like your idea of just a Kurzweil section.

Foret

Unread post by Foret » Mon May 25, 2015 7:00 pm

Hello , I am at the forum , thanks to Yamaha instruments SY77 / TG77 . However, I also solved its key facilities and in January this year I have everything that I had sold , I bought a used SY77 and 30 days ago I bought Kurzweil also ARTIS , el variant SE. I therefore stand in the Artis and SY77 . I am very satisfied . I wanted the same to first buy SP5-8 , but when I heard the demos on the website of Kurzweil at Artis , I did not hesitate and bought . The company now been released and editor for this instrument and I am more than satisfied . So let us serve both to satisfaction.
Live play the Yamaha SY77, Yamaha MX61, Kurzweil Artis SE, micro AKG, monitor their own production - mix with 4 keys stereo , keyboard stand of its own production , sometimes back vocal ,

Denv12

Unread post by Denv12 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Foret wrote:Hello , I am at the forum , thanks to Yamaha instruments SY77 / TG77 . However, I also solved its key facilities and in January this year I have everything that I had sold , I bought a used SY77 and 30 days ago I bought Kurzweil also ARTIS , el variant SE. I therefore stand in the Artis and SY77 . I am very satisfied . I wanted the same to first buy SP5-8 , but when I heard the demos on the website of Kurzweil at Artis , I did not hesitate and bought . The company now been released and editor for this instrument and I am more than satisfied . So let us serve both to satisfaction.
I bought the previous model Artis.I still have mine.Wont part with it unless I buy the SE variant that you've got now.

On the Artis,it has 9 sliders where yours has 4.Are you able to adjust the sounds with just those 4? They must have been able to improve it somehow.

Return to “Kurzweil Artis”