The KORG Wavestation

A ground-breaking when it was introduced in 1990 the KORG Wavestation has garnered something of a cult following and deservedly so. Even decades after it's release the Wavestation can still produce sounds that would be hard to create on any other synthesizer.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

The KORG Wavestation

Unread post by Saul » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:38 am

The WAVESTATION synthesizer appeared in 1990 with its new "advanced vector synthesis system" which combined and shifted between multiple complex waveforms. It received numerous awards from around the world, including U.S. Keyboard magazine's "Hardware Innovation of the Year." The user could operate a joystick to "mix" or "morph" between four oscillators selected from the large onboard collection of waveforms, or create a wave sequence by placing waveforms in a specific order to create rhythmic or melodic sequence patterns, opening up a revolutionary new world of sound to which there is still nothing comparable.
korg-wavestation.jpg
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

AudioSaucer

Re: The KORG Wavestation

Unread post by AudioSaucer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:33 am

I bought a Wavestation SR last month and even though it doesn't have all the knobs and the A/Ds extended functionalities, it's a monster! I like :)
And as You write, it's still pretty impossible to make those sounds with other gear.

And my SY22s Vector Joystick has a lot to do now, besides for itself, for the SY77, the Wavestation SR and my C'Ultra II plugin.
Lovely how some older machines coexist in their own way in these days of CV-controlled modulars and other goodies ;)
YAMAHA SY22, SY77, A3000, MU128, RX15, RX7
AKAI MX73 (AudioSaucer MX) CRUMAR Bit One, Bit MIDI Master Keyboard DigiTech Studio Quad V2 EMU e5000Ultra ENSONIQ VFX-SD1 KORG DDM-220, DW-6000, microKORG, microX, Polysix (2x), Wavestation SR ORLA Airorgan ROLAND D5, D-110+PG-10, RD-170, U-110 (2), U-220, MKS-50 (2) TC M300 ZOOM RT-234

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:01 am

Yes it was and still is a fantastic synth. I have never owned the hardware version, although I came close to buying one on several occasions but the virtualised version does a fantastic job of recreating it's hardware counterpart. Also it's definitely still usable today as is of course the SY77/99/EX etc. It's only really the interface on these older keyboards that let them down. They were often extremely complicated to use and as a consequence most people never got much past the presets. This is one of the big advantage of software, it opens up the synth so you can do so much more with it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:44 am

Saul wrote:This is one of the big advantage of software, it opens up the synth so you can do so much more with it :)
Software editors and librarians do the same for hardware synths. :)
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:06 am

That's what I said. Software opens access to the synth in a way hardware doesn't. I don't understand why you quoted me?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Saul wrote:That's what I said. Software opens access to the synth in a way hardware doesn't. I don't understand why you quoted me?
I guess I missunderstood you, I thought you were refering to software synths vs. hardware synths.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Ahh I see :) No of course your right there are many editors around for hardware synths, some good, some bad, some so old they won't run on modern computers, not without some sort of virtualization that is.

Perfect example of where software helps is with the Yamaha MX 49/61. As it stands it's pretty much a value for money rompler but, hook it up with a software editor and it becomes a quite deep and useful synth :) Unfortunately not all keyboards have a software editor. The Roland FA06/08 doesn't, although the screen is large enough to make on-board editing not too much of a chore so for now Roland can be forgiven for that lack of common sense ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi,

Was the WAVESTATION part of Korgs' 'ADVANCED INTERGRATED SYNTHESIS' family please?

Best,

Paul
Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / MiniMoog Model D / MultiMoog / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 (Mk1) & DX21 / Roland Juno 6 / Korg Poly_61 / Roland XV5050 (module).

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones (250 Ohm).

Cubase 8 / Sibelius 8

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, 2.13gHz, Service Pack 1.

AudioSaucer

Unread post by AudioSaucer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:01 am

I think the AI systems were a little later. They call the Wavestation (SR) for "AV Synthesis System" - allthough I haven't found the VGA-socket yet :lol:
YAMAHA SY22, SY77, A3000, MU128, RX15, RX7
AKAI MX73 (AudioSaucer MX) CRUMAR Bit One, Bit MIDI Master Keyboard DigiTech Studio Quad V2 EMU e5000Ultra ENSONIQ VFX-SD1 KORG DDM-220, DW-6000, microKORG, microX, Polysix (2x), Wavestation SR ORLA Airorgan ROLAND D5, D-110+PG-10, RD-170, U-110 (2), U-220, MKS-50 (2) TC M300 ZOOM RT-234

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:11 am

I think was indeed "A I" the same as in the M1 before it. Although it gets confusing because it was marketed as "Advanced Vector Synthesis". However as far as I can tell, AVS was simply a "method" by which you could combine sounds not actually "create" them? By that I mean although you could come up with new sounds based on the combination of others that isn't, in my opinion anyway, actual "synthesis"?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi,
Saul wrote:I think was indeed "A I" the same as in the M1 before it. Although it gets confusing because it was marketed as "Advanced Vector Synthesis". However as far as I can tell, AVS was simply a "method" by which you could combine sounds not actually "create" them? By that I mean although you could come up with new sounds based on the combination of others that isn't, in my opinion anyway, actual "synthesis"?
Thanks. So you think "AI" came first and then followed "AVI". I think the JOYSTICK may have been called a VECTOR SWITCH and using this, you could sweep between (as you say) the combination two different sounds (presumably PROG's).

Paul

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:22 pm

wavestation 1 is a ai1 synth same as the m1 and t series they can use some of the same pcm cards but not the preset cards

the sr version even though it uses the same pcm chips its new pcm slot is the same as the first ai2 synth the 01w both can use 2mb pcm cards but again they both use a different preset data so the preset data is 2 different cards for the pcm card set

i use my dance pcm card in both the wavestation sr and 01w

the ai2 doubled the polyphony of the of what the t series had the ai2 has gone through many revisions mostly extra pcm content and more poly better fx
sound wise the 01w pcm still sound better than the later series even though its the same 3150khz 16bit 8bit compressed format i have a 01w and a later o5dr

which is a half size rack creating the same patches on each the 01w has the edge

yet my favorite is the trinity as its a m1/t1 with dual resonant filters from the z1 and with the 8mb pcm option can load user samples like the t series

Return to “KORG Wavestation”