Donate to help the cause!

If you want to help us move Yamaha Forums to the next level you can do so by donating here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Fozzer, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Donate to help the cause!

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm

No doubt you will have noticed there is a donations link in the menu as shown in this screenshot
donate.png
donate.png (13.23 KiB) Viewed 414 times
and a progress bar along the top of the forum indicating how far we have got, although I do have to update it manually so if you do donate please bear with me. You will also find two 'Donate' links in this post

Normally I am not comfortable with asking people to donate as many of you already give up a lot of your time to help out on the forum. However in this case I am looking to port the entire site over to VBulletin, which unlike PhpBB is not a free open source system. The current license is$399 but that does also give us a mobile app which considering 47% of our visitors are now coming via mobile devices might be a very good thing indeed.

So why the jump from a free system to a paid system? Well if you have been keeping up with current events re the updating of the forum saga you will know that right now we are stuck on phpbb 3.1.10 and cannot make the jump to version 3.2. This is a limitation of both the server it's running on and bugs in phpbb which prevent the update completing properly. This caused us a LOT of trouble over the last few weeks with lost posts and memberships and I definitely do not want to go down that road again.

Click Here To Donate

For me then, phpbb has reached it's limits. We need a more stable platform and one which can be more easily updated and modified.

VBulletin provides us with a lot more features than we currently have...take a look at the Gearslutz forum for a good example and I think our member will appreciate the functionality that will become available to them. This in turn leads to growth of the forum which is a win/win for all of us. The recent changes I made to the registration process has increased membership but I want to take it a lot further than that.

So I have a lot of things in the pipeline but first we need to tackle the move to a new platform. I can do all the technical stuff but I don't have very deep pockets at the moment. We can raise funds through advertising but a lot of that depends on people visiting the forum and clicking on adverts and right now that is not being particularly fruitful. So if you can give, please do but also please do not feel pressured into doing so. I know times are hard for all of us right now. I'm sure we will get there eventually but obviously the sooner the better :)

All the best

Saul
Click Here To Donate
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Donate to help the cause!

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Just wanted to thank all those who donated to help us move to a new platform. We had a fantastic response and the goal was reached in just two days!

Will crack on with sorting out the migration and update everyone when we are ready to push the button.

Thanks again.

Saul
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Any chance of making member's LOCATION visible again? It's SO useful when offering advice on appropriate sources for goods/services etc . . .

Perhaps this can wait 'til after migration?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:43 pm

parametric wrote:Any chance of making member's LOCATION visible again? It's SO useful when offering advice on appropriate sources for goods/services etc . . .

Perhaps this can wait 'til after migration?

parametric
Can do that but of course it's always been voluntary so if people don't give their location it won't show. I think I did try making it a required field on the sign up but either people didn't fill it in properly or they ignored it. Ignoring it should not have allowed them to proceed but of course this is phpbb and things don't always work.

Will check the options in VBulletin and see what can be done.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “How To Donate”