Loading voices individually from bonus discs

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

andrew95

Re: Loading voices individually from bonus discs

Unread post by andrew95 »

sorry not to say
i'm using a mac 10.12.5

andrew95

I used my disk utility on my mac but i only gives me the option to format for MS-DOS (FAT). the MS-DOS (FAT32) is greyed out...not possible to format it to FAT32

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Ok so in Mac OS it's quite easy.

1- Connect the drive
2- Open Disc Utility. If not already in your dock you can find it through Launchpad in the folder named 'Other'
3- In Dic Utility click on the usb drive in the list on the left
4- Now look in the menu at the top centre of the Disc Utility window and click on 'erase'
5- A drop down will appear where you can give the drive a name and choose the format. You won't see FAT32 but choose ExFAT
6- Click 'erase'. The drive will format and that's it, job done.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

andrew95

thanks, i did this.
afterwards i dragged a file called "ORGAN.S1A" onto the USB. this is the file on one of the expansion discs.

after ejecting from my computer i placed the USB into the EX5 (via the emulator) and it says "Illegal disk"

andrew95

i wonder if my emulator needs to be formatted?

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

The EX5 requires a FAT16 formatted disk. It is best to format on the EX5 if you can do that via the EX5 DISK Utility mode.

The emulator itself should not need formatting (I think!) But try seeing if you can format the drive whilst plugged into the EX5. Check out Page 269 of the EX5 Manual.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

I "think" if you choose MS Dos FAT from the formatting options it will create FAT16 so definitely worth giving that a try.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

andrew95

i'm able to format the USB thumb drive on the EX5 using the "format disk" function in the DISK mode.

when i put the USB thumb drive into my computer it shows up with an icon and it has named the drive "YAMAHA_EX"

so far so good...

when i do "get info" i learn that the USB thumb drive is MS-DOS (FAT12)

andrew95

now that the USB thumb drive seems to be formatted correctly, what do i put on it?
if i drag the file "FACTSET1.S1Y" (this is the file from demo disk 1) onto my USB thumb drive and then do file load "all data"
it says "illegal disk"

obviously if the EX5 can format the USB thumb drive and then when it goes into my computer there's an icon that says YAMAHA_EX then something good is happening. when i stick it back in it always says "illegal disk"

andrew95

if i do file save rather than file load it still says illegal disk

andrew95

i've ordered the 1.11 and 1.14 ROM pieces on ebay. maybe all of this crazy stuff is happening because i'm currently using OS 1.01.
so i guess it's best to wait til I upgrade the OS on the EX5-- maybe some of these problems will vanish by upgrading.
thanks so much for your help, guys.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

Worth a go if you can wait, but I fear it may be an incompatibility between OS X and the EX5 on their understand of what FAT16 on a USB drive is. I have never ever heard of FAT12 before!
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

andrew95

Hi, thanks to you guys I've made INCREDIBLE STRIDES towards completing my project with the EX5 (putting lots of new voices on it to give me a fresh start with the instruments).
Thanks!

I've got a little problem though in organizing the sounds and putting them on:

Some sounds I want are coming from .S1A
these load fine, but only in bulk and it wipes out everything else in my I1 and I2 banks!

Some sounds I want are coming from .S1A & .S1R
don't know what .S1R is

Some sounds I want are coming from .S1M & .S1V
these are somewhat easy to load but the waves sometimes don't retain and i'm left with a voice that won't make any sound

Some sounds I want are coming from .s1v (no accompanying .S1M file at all (not needed I guess))
these are easy to load individually i wish EVERY SINGLE SOUND I WANT could be "converted" into this format.

I purchased Derek's library and it looks like it's awesome but I have absolutely know idea what I'm doing with it and realized after a few hours messing around with it that I'm not the someone who can get that deep into things.

So I'm wondering, if I send someone the files and a list of the particular patches I want, can someone combine ALL OF THEM them into one large .S1A file? or convert them into all being self sufficient .s1v files (not needing S1M)?

92 patches coming from a few different .S1A files
17 patches coming from the .s1v files
27 patches coming from the combined .S1M & .S1V files

My sense is that this is not difficult (I think!) for someone who actually knows what they're doing. Happy to pay a bit of money to someone who can create this for me.

Thanks!

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Unread post by jima »

FYI from the manual:

S1A - An “All Data” file handles all of the data in the internal memory as a single file.
S1Y - A “Synth All” file handles all of the internal voice and performance data (265 voices and 128 performances) and the system data as a single file.
S1V - A “Voice” file handles the 256 voice data (excluding Wave data) as a single file.
S1M - A “SMPL” file handles all of the wave and sample data as a single file.
S1S - A “SONG” file handles all of the song data (1 song) created in Song mode as a single file. Play Effects, Track Transmit Channel, and Controller data are included in a “Song” file.
S1P - A “PTN” file handles all of the User pattern data created in Pattern mode as a single file. Play Effects and Track Transmit Channel data are included in a “PTN” file.
S1R - An “ARP” file handles all of the User arpeggio data as a single file. Play Effects and Track Transmit Channel data are included in a “ARP” file.

An S1A file does overwrite everything, samples in an S1M file will not survive a power cycle unless loaded to fitted flash memory and the samples re-pointed (ex.Factory can do this automatically, a wonderful utility) therefore voices which depend on them completely will be silent after a power cycle or sound strange if there is a partial dependency.

S1V files can use internal (ROM) samples for all elements therefore will not need an accompanying S1M file. Sounds which require an an S1M file cannot be converted to a native S1V file and sound the same. The reason a sample is needed is usually that the internal ROM samples are either not suitable or don't exist.

I wish you good luck trying to find a willing pair of hands to make your bank but would have to say that the EX5 (like any other complex multi-engined synth) is deep but ultimately very rewarding. The only way you will truly realise its potential is if you put some effort into learning it and to that end I would suggest you might like to take a look at the tutorial 'The Joy of EX' which is a very good start to getting to know the EX.

You can get it here.
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(

andrew95

hi guys, thanks so much for the help.
i've got the exfactory working.
i have a .s1v file i've created.
but 15 of the patches don't work.
these are patches with .S1M & .S1V needed
i've tried several times to load the files in to the library but they don't seem to be joining up when i copy and paste into my own file. so they're dead on arrival when i put them on the ex5.

is there a trick to getting these two-part sounds to load properly?

thanks.

also, how do i delete EVERYTHING from the library? deleting one at a time seems crazy. i'd like to clean it up and only have the sounds i want. (i imported everything en masse and then copy pasted from there)

thanks