VL Expert Editor running on the EX5R?

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

frequentmod

VL Expert Editor running on the EX5R?

Unread post by frequentmod »

Somewhere I have read the VL Expert Editor or Visual Editor in their original vintage forms or the newer VL Wizard can be used to edit the VL instrument parameters in the EX5. I don't mean loading patches, I mean actual real time editing. I have Sounddiver which I use for all of my synths. But Sounddiver only emulates the parameters that are available from the front panel itself. These are very limited in number, compared to the VL series of synths.

So my question is, if any of these editors be used for the EX5, are we talking accessing parameters that do not appear on the front panel, or is that too much to expect?

I have Expert Editor communicating with my EX5R, however it is not changing any of the parameters.

I would assume the Sysex strings would need a different model ID, but I have seen no mention of this in what I have read.

Any suggestions or links to other discussions on this would be appreciated. Thanks....
Last edited by frequentmod on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shop Solid Top Guitars Starting at $295
javelin276
Location.: USA

Re: VL Expert Editor running on the EX5R?

Unread post by javelin276 »

Well, I haven't tried to use the Visual or Expert Editors recently, but I do know the VL-Wizard does edit the EX5 and EX5R since they're both in the device selection list. It gives you access to EVERY VL parameter, even the ones you can't see in the Expert Editor. Rudy has done a fantastic job with the VL-Wizard. He's also readily available for questions when the need arises. I couldn't get it running at first because I had to select "THRU" for my keyboard. He answered my question right away.

Just be advised, VL-Wizard takes a 20 seconds to load and several seconds to select editing windows on my computer (Windows-7) not sure why.

It comes with a LOT of patches other wind players have created too!

frequentmod

Thanks for that info. I'm using only older Macs. I have a Windows 7 tablet and a Windows 10 tablet, however I've not been able to get those to see my MTP AV USB.

Maybe I should ask folks here what I need for Windows 7 or 10 to work with a USB midi interface such as the MTP? MOTU Clockworks recognizes it but shows nothing for its current state. I gave up on it.

frequentmod

I just found the SysEx implimentation in the EX5 data list manual that has all the missing VL parameters and their SysEx bytes. Maybe I can find the patience to write an adaptation.

What did Yamaha have in mind for editing those 16 wave slots?

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

VIP

Unread post by Derek »

frequentmod wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:45 am I just found the SysEx implimentation in the EX5 data list manual that has all the missing VL parameters and their SysEx bytes. Maybe I can find the patience to write an adaptation.

What did Yamaha have in mind for editing those 16 wave slots?
I do not know, but ex.factory supports you loading VL70m models in all of them :)

Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
frequentmod

The Data List manual specifically states that the VL Visual Editor allows you to create custom waves and load them into those 16 slots. I have not been able to get the old Visual Editor to edit the EX5R. Also, the Sysex addresses in the EX5 Data List manual do not match either the EX5R Sounddiver editor (which works) or the VL1 Sounddiver editor. Pretty odd. Might have to give Yamaha a call.

Yamaha still does have posted the Visual Editor for Windows.

Did anyone ever have success with a VL editor other than the VL Wizard?