Help with Gotek Floppy Emulator

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

rocknpop
Location.: United States

Help with Gotek Floppy Emulator

Unread post by rocknpop »

I installed the drive properly in the EX5, looks great. However... I need to figure out how to make this work with my MacBook. All the installers available for the floppy emulator software to run the manager in your computer were made for PC. Is there anyone here who has figured this out in Macbook? I spent 2 hours trying to use WineBottler and Wine to no avail. I can't get the software to see my USB port. And trust me, I've read all the articles in the Wine forum an other forums to make this work.

Is the only way to make this work to use a Windows machine??

Loopmasters Sale
Zeit
Location.: Montevideo, Uruguay, South America

Re: Help with Gotek Floppy Emulator

Unread post by Zeit »

If you directly drag and drop the disk images from your computer to the USB stick doesn't work? Make sure the stick is formatted using FAT32
Which firmware are you using in your Gotek?
I'm using a stock Gotek on my Yamaha A3000 (which i suppose is closely related to the EX5) and works like a charm right out of the box, no need to flash any firmware. I simply put WAV, AIF or native format files on the stick and ready to go.

"I'm always willing to learn when you have something to teach"
rocknpop

Hm, more clearly put: I need to get a software that is able to read my USB and interpret it into 100 floppy drives

rocknpop

Just to close this out for posterity...

I did not find anything available in Mac to 1) format the USB into 100 floppies or 2) to view and edit the files.

THEREFORE, the only option was to either buy a PC or install Parallels or BootCamp in my Mac. So I did, and Parallels worked fine. I now have 3 USB sticks with the files from ex5tech :) I forgot to load the MarcE files, but I think that's ok. :)

Hirsch
Location.: Germany (Bavaria)

Unread post by Hirsch »

Have you considered installing a custom firmware like HxC or FlashFloppy on your Gotek? You can browse through the floppy-image-files on the USB stick. (File names are displayed on a small OLED display whick replaces the 7-segment LEDs of the Gotek.) The only job your Mac has to do is copying the floppy-image-files to a USB stick. (Any computer can do this.)

rocknpop

Hits hard, that’s a great addition. Yes, I found out about this AFTER I had installed the drive into the EX5. You have to flash the drive without it being connected to anything and I didn’t feel like removing 49 screws to do that. I think that the software you mention is not totally free and that I would need a different display than the Gotek (more mods).

The path I went is very bare bones - have the files ready if needed and a reference sheet with the stuff.