TEMPO RESET

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Sebas
Location.: Canada

TEMPO RESET

Unread post by Sebas »

Hi everybody. I happened apon a ex5 back in April. Real good deal considering what people are asking for an ex5 these days. So the ex5 is the base model. Just gathered up the sector 16mb flash ram, 64 mb of ram and a USB floppy emu. I haven't installed it yet because I am waiting for a soldering iron with a T-tip and Teflon pad to attempt fixing the missing lines on the lcd. My question is this. When in arpeggio any time I change the tempo from 120bpm and then I think how would a different arp pattern sound and change it, the tempo automatically resets to 120bpm. Very annoying because I hang out at 60-100bpm for most of my playing. Does the firmware upgrade fix that. I don't even know how to check the os version. Any help is appreciated.

Sebas

Rabbit Tree Studio
Sebas
Location.: Canada

Re: TEMPO RESET

Unread post by Sebas »

Well I found out what version of Firmware I have by looking up the procedure (VOICE+H+8) to get to that OS Screen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** EX5 TEST ***
MAIN ROM Ver=1.0A '98.12.26
TG ROM Ver=1.06 '98.07.14

Yup I think I got the beta release...All I know is those numbers are old.
To bad cuz I just spent $220 on the parts to upgrade ram and drive. Now I have to find 4 eproms from two decades ago.
I really like this keyboard, even over its bigger brother the MO8(which I am trying to sell).

So if I upgrade to latest firmware, will that annoying tempo reset thing I mention in my original post go away.

I really like this Syth and I sure wish I took up programming instead of LAN Admin back in 92, I could have been a wizard for these vintage synths fixes and firmwares.

I digress

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Unread post by jima »

Hi Sebas, and welcome to YM. The information about what was fixed in which release is incomplete and sketchy at best. The tempo reset issue you are having has not been noted in recent releases that I know of but the general recommendation is get to the latest version no matter what, just don't pay over the odds for the EPROM's from eBay gougers. See EX5Tech.co.uk for more information which may help.

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
EXer

Unread post by EXer »

Sebas wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:29 pm So if I upgrade to latest firmware, will that annoying tempo reset thing I mention in my original post go away.
No.

There is nothing to fix!

The tempo of an arp is stored as one of its parameters. When you call a preset arp its (default) tempo is loaded with it.

Copy the preset arps you want to use to user arps, change their tempos and save them to a .s1r file. When you load your user arps their (custom) tempos will loaded with them.

Sebas wrote: Well I found out what version of Firmware I have by looking up the procedure (VOICE+H+8) to get to that OS Screen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** EX5 TEST ***
MAIN ROM Ver=1.0A '98.12.26
TG ROM Ver=1.06 '98.07.14

Yup I think I got the beta release...All I know is those numbers are old.

Now I have to find 4 eproms from two decades ago.
You do not have to.

There is no point in upgrading for upgrading's sake.

Just play your EX5. I'm sure you won't face any issues due to the OS, unless you want to use its internal sequencer heavily or unless you plan to load custom VL elements.

How do I know? I have 3 EXes, one of them has 1.0A/1.06 and it works fine (btw, it's not a beta release, it's the earliest stable and main bug free version!).

EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

VVLNERANT OMNES VLTIMA NECAT