my EX5R SD storage conversion

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

MarkA
Location.: UK

Re: my EX5R SD storage conversion

Unread post by MarkA »

Hello!

New member here, having spotted this old thread!
tux wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 pm I have configured the SCSI2SD adapter to present itself on SCSI ID 5 as removable storage (MO), therefore hot-swapping of the SD card works fine.
Can you tell me how you did this? I have an Akai DD1000 Magneto Optical Disk Recorder with a failed Sony MO drive, and am hoping this might be my Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free(ish)-SDCard!

Thanks!

tux
Location.: Europe

Unread post by tux »

MarkA wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:34 pm Can you tell me how you did this? I have an Akai DD1000 Magneto Optical Disk Recorder with a failed Sony MO drive, and am hoping this might be my Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free(ish)-SDCard!
I did it with the SCSI2SD configuration software, it has an option to present itself as removable storage (MO).

Bear in mind that I did this almost 5 years ago and I recently sold my EX5R so I'm unable to provide you more details but it was just an option in the software, nothing hidden or tricky, therefore you should be able to do the same with a SCSI2SD adapter.

My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
MarkA
Location.: UK

Unread post by MarkA »

tux wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:14 am
MarkA wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:34 pm Can you tell me how you did this? I have an Akai DD1000 Magneto Optical Disk Recorder with a failed Sony MO drive, and am hoping this might be my Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free(ish)-SDCard!
I did it with the SCSI2SD configuration software, it has an option to present itself as removable storage (MO).

Bear in mind that I did this almost 5 years ago and I recently sold my EX5R so I'm unable to provide you more details but it was just an option in the software, nothing hidden or tricky, therefore you should be able to do the same with a SCSI2SD adapter.
Thanks. Interestingly the SCSI2SD developer tells me that it does not support MO drive emulation. Baffling.

M

tux
Location.: Europe

Unread post by tux »

My version 5 with the config software that I downloaded for it at the time definitely did, maybe version 6 no longer does.

Actually it's even documented on the scsi2sd wiki, the setting in the config software was apparently called "hot swap" which induces the EX5 to see it as MO (as you can clearly see from the last photo in the second post of this very thread in case you still doubt me).
https://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/Hot_Swap

My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)