EX5 Firmware Versions

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

frequentmod

Re: EX5 Firmware Versions

Unread post by frequentmod »

Thanks Jima and Miks. I take it you do not experience any pronounced latency with your EX5 units? 16-32 notes are not much bother, as good as other rack units. But play 64 notes and more, then it gets sloppy.

RLMUSIC Project YouTube Channel
frequentmod

Unread post by frequentmod »

I just did an A-B test of the EX5R and the JV2080. The latency is just as great on the JV2080 ad polyphony increases. So it is not the EX5R, it's the MIDI transmission itself. In this case I use an SXPRO serial card and a Studio 5 LX.

It's no bother to me, since I use the least number of voices possible for my music, and most if my racks are 16-32 voices which never exhibit this behavior by themselves.

The EX5 manual warned about polyphony, and somewhere I saw some complaints about the EX5 midi reception problems. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the issue. Much ado about nothing....

The EX5R is a worthy warrior...

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Unread post by jima »

It is indeed. It can get a bit sloppy though if, for example, you play a bunch of chords sequentially using a patch with with long sustain/release then eventually chords sound more like an arpeggio :)

With careful planning you can mitigate some of the MIDI issues though - unlike GM boxes which give channel 10 priority for percussion the EX assigns priority from channel 1 down so I keep percussion on the top 2 or three channels and the washy pads towards the end. The EX is an old design now with silicon and a real-time OS which were good in the day and although things have improved over the years I still think she does well and is definitely the nicest sounding synth I own.

You should still update the OS while upgrade ROM's are available, though. At 1.05 yours are probably EPROMS so could be erased and re-programmed.

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(