SCSI2SD adapter as an external SCSI device ?

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

EXer

SCSI2SD adapter as an external SCSI device ?

Unread post by EXer »

► Is there a way to use a SCSI2SD adapter as an external SCSI device ?

I have 3 EXes and I use an external 2 GB JAZ drive as a mass storage. Unfortunately one of my two JAZ drives just broke down, and if the other one breaks down too I'm stuck, so I need a reliable replacement device for that drive. I do not want to buy three SCSI2SD (i.e. one for each EX) and I don't want to remove the floppy drives nor to cut the casing of my EXes to have access to the SD card.

Thanks.

EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

VVLNERANT OMNES VLTIMA NECAT

abruzzi
Location.: USA

Re: SCSI2SD adapter as an external SCSI device ?

Unread post by abruzzi »

If you don't mind the v5 version of SCSI2SD it's easy. There is an external case designed for it:

https://durhamcardco.com/scsi2sd-3-5-external-case.html

It's 3D printed so quality is so-so. Add to this the v5 board and a scsi adapter:

https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html
https://www.itead.cc/scsi2-50pin-to-scs ... apter.html

The only question is power. If the EX5 scsi provides 5volt TERMPWR, then it won't need anything else. If it doesn't you'll either need to power it over USB, or cut a hole in the back of the case and figure out how to get 5 volts into it.

I have that setup, but haven't attached it to my EX5 (mostly experimenting on my E-mu Ultra.)

ledan

Unread post by ledan »

As for the V5 version: yes it absolutely does. The Asib1 sends out term-pwr and the v5 works flawlessly using it :)
scsi2sd.png
I got hold of a fellow on a "print hub" service who could use those blueprints and manufacture the external case for me. I payed somewhere in the 13 ukp region for a while casing.

EXer

Unread post by EXer »

ledan wrote:As for the V5 version: yes it absolutely does. The Asib1 sends out term-pwr and the v5 works flawlessly using it :)
That's good news.

The remaining problem is the external connector. The above-mentioned adapter has a DB25, not a high density 50 pin connector like an EX5 or a JAZ drive.

► Does there exist an internal/external SCSI adapter with a high density 50 pin external connector ?

Image[/url]
EX5Tech Member #101

ledan

Unread post by ledan »

Afaik, i would say no (??) so you have to resort to a little bit of cheating actually :-)

db50->centronics 25 and on to db25 (using adapter).
scsi_cable.jpg

abruzzi

Unread post by abruzzi »

EXer wrote:
ledan wrote: ► Does there exist an internal/external SCSI adapter with a high density 50 pin external connector ?
I have a cable that handles the adaptation, and I was less worried about my EX5R (which has a SCSI ZIP in place of the floppy) than I was for my EPS16+.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3ft-short-HPDB5 ... xyi-ZTX5Dk

EXer

Unread post by EXer »

I believe it is *not* a good idea to use a 25 pin connector. In order to work properly a SCSI-2 chain needs the return signals and their respective grounds.
__

Meanwhile I have found this adapter, but it is not cheap if I take into account the shipping cost + VAT and custom charges :evil:

So I have another idea in mind :idea:
I'll let you know about it later (I have to make a "proof of concept" first).
EX5Tech Member #101

abruzzi

Unread post by abruzzi »

EXer wrote:I believe it is *not* a good idea to use a 25 pin connector. In order to work properly a SCSI-2 chain needs the return signals and their respective grounds.
SCSI is very backwards compatible, and I've never encountered issues running, for instance 80pin, 68pin, or 50pin, on a 25pin connection.

My goal was a small self containd box that I could easily connect to my Amiga, SGIs, and samplers (A5000, E-mu e6400 Ultra, K2500RS, EPS16+, EX5R). Some of those use DB25, some use CN50, some use HD50, some use HD68. I haven't tested everything, but so far the E-mu and Kurzweil passed. I'm working on the EPS at the moment (no TERMPWR on that one).

ledan

Unread post by ledan »

I do understand your concern, i do. I also looked for such a beast before going for that itead db25 adapter (but found none). With that said, i do agree with abruzzi. I have been using a lot of variations going from instruments to external devices and host adapters.

68->50 (pci scsi board -> Akai S5000/Yamaha A3000)
68->50 (pci scsi board internal -> acard 7720/internal cd-rom)
50->25 (S5000/A3000/EX5R->scsi2sd/external cd-rom/external fuzinmonster + raizinmonster)
25>centronics (Roland XV5080->most of the above)

as scsi ids have been set correctly and termination have been done properly (can be a challenge, agreed) then at least in my case, it has worked almost 100%

I did have some issues with the Acard-7720 coupled with a ide-cf reader at one point.

EXer

Unread post by EXer »

abruzzi wrote:SCSI is very backwards compatible
That's true.

And there's a good reason for that: SCSI was very well thought out from the start.

The only exception to that well-engineered design is ... (guess what?) ... the 25 pin connection, which was introduced by Apple to cut costs by stripping out the 25 signal return and ground wires. That's substandard SCSI !

As far as I am concerned I'll stick to standard SCSI.
EX5Tech Member #101

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

Yes indeed, SCSI was well thought out to the extent that it was the system of choice for Servers in big companies.

The attraction for other users was the ability to have 7 devices attached, organised by their SCSI IDs.

As you said - Mac went with it, as did the Acorm Archimedes . . .

The PC was stuck with MFM and then IDE - allowing 2 drives per controller IIRC . . . ? (Unless you wanted to go SCSI . . . )

The Mac implementation of SCSI always puzzled me . . . that DB25 . . . . SCSI1, I guess.

As far as I remember - it STAYED that way 'til the Macs outed the 68000 series and went Intel and IDE . . . ?

Given the Music "raison d'etre" of the Mac - and the desire to stream increasing amounts of Audio from HD, it amazed me that they never went away from that SCSI1.

Perhaps it WAS the cost, as you said?

When I first worked at the Uni in the Music Dept, we had Mac Se30s (SCSI) with external HDs (~600Mb) IIRC (costing around £2000)

Software was MOTU Performer (MIDI ONLY) - Might have been ProTools with DodgyDesign Hardware and "GreyMatter" accelerator cards for the HDs. 4-track - at this stage IIRC

There was Sound Designer, stereo editor eventually Sound Designer II. I think we also had DECK . . . .(first SW-based multitrack digital recorder)

We did have ONE fancier Mac running "SoundTools" for the PostGrad composers . . . .(Stereo Non-destructive editing)

SCSI was everywhere. Even the Akai S1000 samplers had a SCSI card installed. I remember that they would only work if they were LAST in the SCSI chain.

The whole "black-art" of termination was great fun :roll: and various systems would work WITH or WITHOUT termination - DESPITE what the SCSI rule-book was telling you.

The Computer Dept used to update it's systems regularly, dumping their old HDs in the skip - which I used to recover and take home . . .

Back then when 40Mb was a typical HD in a PC - it was a treat to find SCSI Drives of 240Mb - but they were massive 5.25" Full Height . .

So I bought an adaptec card and had fun with them - learning SCSI along the way . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

EXer

Unread post by EXer »

parametric wrote:. . . that DB25 . . . . SCSI1, I guess.
SCSI-1 already had 50 pin connectors. AFAIK DB25 was substandard and specific to Apple.

I still have an external SCSI-1 CD drive (which I bought at the same time as my A4000 sampler), it has a low density 50 pin, aka "Centronics", connector:

EX5Tech Member #101

EXer

Unread post by EXer »

Hi, I'm back from the "lab".

As some people might have noticed, I do not want to use a 25 pin connector and I do not want to pay a crazy price for an adapter.

:idea:

In want of a reasonably priced internal / external HD50 adapter the idea is to pick the SCSI controller board from an old IBM PS-2 (which appears to be lying around in my basement) and to use it as an adapter. That board will *not* be plugged to anything and it will *not* be powered. It will only serve as a passive physical link between its external HD50 connector (same as EX5 and JAZ) and its internal connector to which the SCSI2SD board is to be hooked.

And it could also serve as a "backbone" for my external device: the SCSI2SD would be placed on top of the board, and the whole thing would be wrapped in a heat shrink tube, so there's not even a need for a case.
___

I made a "proof of concept" with an old internal 540 MB Maxtor SCSI HD (from the same IBM PS-2) which I connected to my PC (equipped with an Adaptec AHA-2930U SCSI controller) through the unplugged unpowered PS/2 SCSI controller board and an external HD50/HD50 cable:

And guess what ?

IT WORKS Image

The "external" HD is recognized by the controller in the PC, and the PS/2 board is transparent:

EX5Tech Member #101

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

That's NICE Exer . . . .

As someone once said "I DO like it when a plan comes together" ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

para
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

just to note, I have used a SCSI HD/50 to Centronics/50 adapter onto a Centronics/50 to DB25 lead ever since having my EX5 in 1999 with no issues to connect to a SCSI ZIP (DB25 only). So whilst I am glad you found a solution to fit your desires, there is a simpler path if others wish to tread it (price not withstanding). :)

My only issue right now is a failed ZIP drive, and some duff floppy drives as well. I need to sort out how to get my EX5's writing again! Lack of time is my current enemy....
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk