SCSI2SD Setup?

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

RavenII
Location.: USA

SCSI2SD Setup?

Unread post by RavenII »

Hello All,

I recently picked up an A3000 as mentioned by EXer and Derek...and yanked the ASIB1 out of it.

As a temp. setup, I have a SCSI2SD connected with a ribbon to the ASIB1. I have the SCSI2SD setup as follows...
Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 9.05.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 9.05.13 PM.png
I put the mSD card in, go through the Disk menu and format the HD0. It comes up as...."Yamaha_EX" "Used 0 KB" "Free 19xx MB"
I could create Folders, I could save from the Keyboard to the mSD card, load them from the mSD card, but if I take that card out and pop it into my Mac or PC...it doesn't have anything on it. Am I missing something?

I've tried 2 different cards, both 8GB...One SDHC, the other a UHS-1 card...same outcome.
I've tried changing the device type to Magneto Optical, same result.
I've tried...unchecking "Enable SCSI2 Mode", no change.
I've tried putting the factory disks on the mSD Card to see if I could load them, no go.

Thanks in advance for the help. I just hope I didn't get a bum ASIB1. Though the A3000 was MINT.

Rabbit Tree Studio
EXer

Re: SCSI2SD Setup?

Unread post by EXer »

If you can save an load from the EX then the ASIB is working.

A PC cannot read/write a HD formatted on an EX, and an EX cannot read/write a HD formatted on a PC (explanation ► here).

Try to change the device type to something else than a HD, e.g. a MO drive.

EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

VVLNERANT OMNES VLTIMA NECAT
RavenII

Unread post by RavenII »

EXer wrote:If you can save an load from the EX then the ASIB is working.

A PC cannot read/write a HD formatted on an EX, and an EX cannot read/write a HD formatted on a PC (explanation ► here).

Try to change the device type to something else than a HD, e.g. a MO drive.
Ah, then there's that. Ok, I'm betting that'll take care of it. I know I tried to use a MO drive as device 2 (SCSI ID 1), but I don't know if I tested it as "thoroughly" as I did the HD0 device. I will try when I get home and report back. Thanks EXer.

Also, if it's not on the card, where is it actually writing the files? I mean, it formats it and everything...odd. Thanks again.

tux
Location.: Europe

Unread post by tux »

Do not partition the SD card, use it as a superfloppy (i.e. with no partition table) and set scsi2sd to MO, then you can read it fine from a PC, at least I can using Linux, no idea how it works on Windows.

My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
RavenII

Unread post by RavenII »

tux wrote:Do not partition the SD card, use it as a superfloppy (i.e. with no partition table) and set scsi2sd to MO, then you can read it fine from a PC, at least I can using Linux, no idea how it works on Windows.
Both of you were right, MO worked, but more importantly, tux...you hit the nail on the head....I was using a card that was formatted in macOS as Fat32 but it makes you use either GUID, MBR, or Apple Partition Map...

I popped the card in my Windows 10 machine and formatted it before...but after reading your post, I had unchecked the "quick format" option...lo and behold...it worked. I popped it into the SCSI2SD and formatted it, voila, 8GB card got turned into a 2GB card...but it's a very small price to pay. Thanks again to both you guys for the help. I really appreciate it.

musicianjrbc

Unread post by musicianjrbc »

The above instructions helped me fix the issue. Just in case someone else bought Yamaha EX5/7 and is still confused, here are steps

SD Card - format it in EX5/7. Do not format it in Windows/Mac.

SCSI2SD

1. download SCSI Utility from http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... D#Download
2. Connect your SCSI2SD to your computer via USB
2. Run SCSI Utility on your computer and change settings to the following
On General Settings screen
--Enable SCSI terminator (v5.1 only)
--SCSI Host Speed - Normal
--Startup Delay Seconds - 0
--SCSI Selection Delay - 255
--Enable SCSI2 Mode - check that option

On Device 1 screen
--Enable SCSI Target - check that option.
--SCSI ID - 0
--Device Type - Removable
--Device Size - 2 GB

Click on File and then click on Save To Device.

In your EX5/7 go to UTILITY and then to Other. For SCSI ID choose 0. You may get error message, just ignore.

Now you can put your EX5/7 formatted SD card in your computer and copy/past EX5/7 sound files.

Go ahead and restart your EX5/7.

Insert your SD card with sound files on it in SCSI2SD device. Push DISK button on EX5/7 and then choose LOAD. On the next screen the option you select would depend on what EX5/7 file you want to load. Go ahead choose your option. On the next screen for DISK: Load from Disk choose MO0 as your file storage. You should now see your files on SD card.