Yamaha WX7 - loose WX socket? Here's how to fix.

This section covers the WX5/WX7/WX11

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

cloudburst

Yamaha WX7 - loose WX socket? Here's how to fix.

Unread post by cloudburst » Wed May 14, 2014 8:02 pm

Normally the WX socket on the WX7 feels tight and integrated to the structure of the instrument.

But it can easily become loose if the cable takes a knock whilst plugged in. The symptoms are about .5mm lateral and longitudinal 'play'.

The reason is that the internal socket assembly is as follows:
- the electronic socket component is attached to a small plastic base panel by 4 small screws
- the plastic base panel is glued into the underside (plastic) panel, only loosely located by a single tab

The small amount of glue seems to weaken over the years. Here's how to fix.

1 ) Remove the cable
2 ) Loosen but do not remove the two small screws retaining the pitch bend wheel
3 ) Remove the 8 small screws retaining the lower bottom plastic panel
4 ) Take care to lift the panel very carefully to clear the pitch bend assembly but very little so as not to disturb the wires (especially the black ground wire)
5 ) You may be able to pull the coloured wiring loom a few mm down the instrument to give extra space to work (BE VERY GENTLE)
6 ) Practice locating the socket/base assembly into the bottom panel (taking note of the small locating tab) so that you can do this easily in the next step
7 ) Apply a small amount of superglue to the contact areas
8 ) Carefully hold until bonded (you can carefully use a pointed object to apply a little pressure to the bit you can't get a finger into)
9 ) Gently push the wiring loom back up the instrument
10 ) Take great care to correctly locate the black wire
11 ) Take great care to correctly locate the HOLD/CONTROL buttons circuit board
12 ) Replace the bottom panel, taking care to clear the pitch bend assembly
13 ) Replace 8 screws, taking care not to over-tighten
14 ) Gently tighten the 2 pitch bend assembly screws
15 ) Give your glue a chance to harden and then gently use your finger to reassure yourself that the socket is probably now more tightly bonded than when it left the factory.

Well done!

CB
Converting fuel to noise since 1982.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Yamaha WX7 - loose WX socket? Here's how to fix.

Unread post by parametric » Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 am

Cloudburst -

THAT is a very useful and detailed account of how to address what sounds like a very delicate problem, and a great addition to our knowledge-base.

Many Thanks

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

the zlorngler

Unread post by the zlorngler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:43 am

I am having an issue with my wx7 that may be this issue, but I am not certian. I bought my wx7 used about a year and a half ago. It worked fine until about a month ago. I use it with ableton live 8 to play midi synths. About a month ago, it started having trouble connecting. If I try unplugging everything, replugging everything in and opening and closing ableton several times it will sometimes start to work. But often it simply will not play. This is the best article online that I could find for what this issue might be. I could not find a good diagram to tell me this: What exactly is the WX socket? is it where the battery pack plugs into it at the bottom of the wx7? I didn't realize that that cable could actually be disconnected; I never have unplugged it. My socket does not seem to be obviously loose. How apparent is the wiggle? If I try to wiggle it to diagnose, is it possible that I will damage it further if that is in fact the issue? Does my issue sound like it is this issue, or something else? I have tried using the midi to usb connector cable on other midi controllers and the cable works fine, so that is not the issue. And I have tried the wx7 in two different computers with ableton live, with the same result. What should I do to get it fixed? I am thinking of maybe sending it in to patchman music for a repair if I cannot fix it any other way.

Thanks a lot!
- the zlorngler

cloudburst

Unread post by cloudburst » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Yes - the WX socket is where the cable attaches to the instrument. The cable has a screw collar, so unscrew that and the cable will pull out of the socket.

With the cable out, you should be able to feel the socket with your finger by gentky prodding. There should not be any movement.

It's difficult to diagnose your problem without having the insstrument. Can you start a process of elimination by plugging the instrument into something other than the BT7 battery box?

Foe example, I never use my BT7, as the instrument is plugged into the WX socket on the front of my VL70-m sound module using a WX-WX cable rather than MIDI.

CB
Converting fuel to noise since 1982.

the zlorngler

Unread post by the zlorngler » Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 am

Thanks for the helpful reply! However, the socket on my wx7 does not move at all when gently prodded. The instrument will sometimes work, and sometimes not. Last month I accidentally knocked the cable, after which it started being even less reliable than it already was. But it has not given out completely. I am sure that I have accidentally pulled on the cable in the past more than just that one time. Could it be that my wx7 has the problem that this thread is a fix for, but not as bad as sometimes happens? Is it possible that my wx7 is partially damaged in this way, but not so much as to be 100% not functioning?

Thank you,
-the zlorngler

the zlorngler

Unread post by the zlorngler » Thu May 18, 2017 4:28 am

unfortunately, I don't have anything else that I can plug my instrument into to try to diagnose the issue

the zlorngler

Unread post by the zlorngler » Thu May 18, 2017 8:02 pm

It seems to stop working completely after I set it down for a minute. Last night, it was working on and off; it would play for 20, 30 seconds, then stop for 5 seconds or so, then start playing again. It also would often hold out a note (and I wasn't pressing the button on the back of the wx7 that does this). Last night, after setting it down for a couple minutes, I could not get it to play at all.
This morning, I got it out and tried to play it. It worked very unreliably again for a time; again, it would play for 20 seconds, then stop responding and hold out a note, then play again for some seconds, then stop, and so on. But after I set it down horizontally in my lap for a minute, it stopped playing entirely yet again! I tried reconnecting all of the cables, restarting Ableton Live, but it would not start working again. For some reason, setting it down (gently) for a minute or so seems to cause it to stop working, at least until the next day...
And it holds out notes at random.
When I have time off from school in about a month, I am thinking that I will open it up and try to see if it is this same issue that this thread is a fix for.

Thank you,
-the zlorngler

Return to “Yamaha Wind Controllers”