An 8HD just sold for £419 on eBay UK. Yes, £419 :S

Alesis Fusion links, info & general advice

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

db7

Re: An 8HD just sold for £419 on eBay UK. Yes, £419 :S

Unread post by db7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 pm

There are up to 4 elements with each element sharing a filter, amplifier, and modulator settings. Every new element brings it's own settings for the filter, amplifier, modulators, etc... What you were thinking of is voices, yes they're all sent to their own filter and amplifier etc... But those filter and amplifiers are grouped together.
How can this be done? Voices start at different times and consist of different audio going through modifiers that have to be unique for these same reasons. And each Element, regardless of its configuration with others in any particular Voice, has (must have) its own set of modifiers. Right? 8O

Aaaaaanyway, I can fully agree with your other conclusions, of course. Whichever way we slice it, the SY77/TG77/SY99 – and, I imagine, particularly the latter with its more advanced effects – do a heck of a lot for machines of their time, and even for today when one considers that they’re still unrivalled (again, particularly the 99 :P).

As for prices, Clyde has posted that the SY77 was originally marked at $2995 and the SY99 $3995, and he was following the range from its earliest beginnings, so he’s bound to be correct. On the other side of the Atlantic, I have the issue of Sound on Sound with part 1 of their two-part review of the SY77 here – interestingly from early 1990, not mid-/late-1989, suggesting that it arrived quite a bit later on our chilly shores – and it lists the RRP as £1999. I think I read elsewhere that the SY99 was £2999.

Box

Unread post by Box » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:29 am

The settings are shared, still have the individual for each voice. Though on some cheaper keyboards one LFO would cover all voices, and on the really cheap they'd even share the filter.

So would've been $3,400 USD for the SY77, back in 1990 that was a lot of money. Would be $6,000 in today's money. 8O Makes you wonder how all of these old keyboards were bought... Really makes today's prices seem like nothing, especially for what all you get.

Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury "Raven" 1992
Peavey KB-300
Roland JX-8P
Yamaha AN1x
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha SY77

Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:59 am

As I said earlier, the SY77 was $2,995 MSRP in '89/'90, the SY99 was $3,995 MSRP in '91/'92. And if I remember correctly the SYEMB05 ram boards were around $300 MSRP (don't remember the exact price) though you could find them around $250-$275 street prices back in the day. That would have made an SY99 with five optional SYEMB05 boards about a $5,500 synth back then. I had to really push my budget to the limit to buy my SY77 back then and I looked at the SY99 when they came out but just could not justify the additional cost for the added features. The SY99 I bought several years ago was a far better bargain than when they were new.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

db7

Unread post by db7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:11 am

Box wrote:Makes you wonder how all of these old keyboards were bought... Really makes today's prices seem like nothing, especially for what all you get.
For sure. Also especially considering that they’re not matched by anything modern. I think my dynamic duo of the SY99 and AN1x, costing £620 combined (not including postage… or pending upgrades to the former), will outmatch many times more expensive modern synths both in terms of doing what they do and simply providing almost limitless scope for timbres and control. I could write loads of reasons why they’re so good… but I’m not going to push up the price in case I want to hoard more. ;)

Edit: Of course, the sheer difference in prices, and the objective facts of an unrivalled architecture, are much more pronounced for the SY99. Even if I’d paid £620 for that alone, considering that separately from the mean price, it wouldn’t have been a bad deal at all when you think about it! It certainly beats £3000. :lol:

Box

Unread post by Box » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 am

Makes you wonder if something like the KRONOS will be $300 in 20 years.

Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury "Raven" 1992
Peavey KB-300
Roland JX-8P
Yamaha AN1x
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha SY77

db7

Unread post by db7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:46 am

While the very thought of these synths once costing so much is staggering enough, what really blew my mind in the same issue of SoS was a 24-track reel-to-reel recorder by Tascam that was priced at… wait for it… £8399. Whaaaa? I… That’s unbelievable to me, unrelatable, unfathomable, whatever you want to call it!

The KRONOS is free to get as cheap as it wants as soon as it wants. I won’t judge it and turn it away! ;)

synthjoe

Unread post by synthjoe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Box wrote:Makes you wonder if something like the KRONOS will be $300 in 20 years.
I'd say it is quite likely. Perhaps sooner.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Give it a couple of years, maybe three and the Kronos will be hovering around the sub £1k mark. The Oasys is down around £1200 now and that's one heck of a lot of keyboard for that money! Just wondering where Korg can go from the Kronos? I know we now have the Kronos Plus but it's not that big a difference to the original, just kitting it out with the addons that you can tack onto the original anyway.

Think we are now in the very happy situation where the mega keyboards of a few years ago, that most of us could not afford then, are now available to us and the great thing is, they are just as capable for music creation today as they were back then. Happy Days :)

Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

Return to “Alesis Fusion 6HD & 8HD”