fairlight 8bit disk library

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

jhulk

fairlight 8bit disk library

Unread post by jhulk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:54 pm

i have been convert the fairlight cmiII floppy disk library to 16bits 44100 format and saved them as sy format files the fairlight only had one shot samples

for these all i did was change the frequency playback rate from the 16khz to 44.1khz no conversion just set the playback rate then i did a auto-tune which gave me root + fine for the 44100 playback rate then i saved it as 44100 16bits sy wave format .wxx

as these are one shots you can fit 100 in the sy99 and 64 in the sy85/tg500 they are very small files 34k but you get that low bit quality late 70,s early 80,s sampler sound

ill start loading them up in the downloads section

jhulk

Re: fairlight 8bit disk library

Unread post by jhulk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:19 am

im having problems with uploading the files as soon as its sorted out i will notify here

thanks jammie

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:16 pm

i have started to upload to my dropbox account

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/828dajws5rvb ... -IkyAW20fa

enjoy

JK1974

Unread post by JK1974 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi jammie,

sounds very interesting to me. However (without having downloaded your 2 samples files), what is the idea of uploading one-shot-samples to the SY99 when our synth does not allow to set loop start and loop end points directly? Or is/was sample start = loop start and sample end = loop end? For correct usage, we would have to transfer the sounds back to PC/Mac, edit them and then reupload them...

And as far as I can remember, you could also use 16kHz on the SY99 (and any other sample rate). I don´t know if this would have any disadvantage over using the 44,1 kHz.

With kind regards, and thanks in advance for your efforts!

Joerg

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 pm

if i uploaded the original 16khz file the uptranspose engine of the sy99 you would not get a full keyboard of the sample

they have the loop information in them and the pitch info if it does not let it i can write done that information as it is set in the fairlight file structure and i have the pitch info in awave

the reason i used the 44.1 playback rate is it puts the pitch of the sound much higher up the keyboard so that most of the transposition is just downsampling playing the sample slower and you then get a full keyboard of sound and the reason they are one shots is that thats what they are in the fairlight if they were multisamples i would have uploaded them as that

but like a lot of sample players they we only one shots and relied on the samplers transpose engine to produce the pitch tones and why you can only make certain emulated sounfd by doing the same thing as the sounds slow down where as a multisample is more accurate

ill start adding the info for loading and setting in the sy99

but if you dump them they do, do the loop points

JK1974

Unread post by JK1974 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:55 am

This full keyboard range problem on lower sample rates is in fact not really nice.
But would 32kHz be a good alternative? It´s twice the bitrate of the original sample rate, and so the interpolation would nearly not alter the sound quality (and would even not if linear interpolation or even doubling is being used), and the loop points would match the original values if you multiply them with 2. So this could be a kind of perfect reproduction of the original sound.

And concerning "one-shot", there was a misunderstanding on my side. I thought that you mean unlooped sounds with this and not non-multisample sounds.

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:52 pm

I NEVER USED ANY CONVERSION OF THE FILE

i just changed its playback frequency rate exactly how its done internally the sample is still the original size and is still 8bits the upper 8bits of 16bits is just zeros and is linear

the loop points are the original the only thing i did was to do a auto tune which gave me the root note and fine tune for 44.1khz in awave no conversions of the original file has taken place apart from saving to sy format

if you want to change the frequency playback of the file then you can set that your self in awave studio just put in the frequency playback you want apply it then do the autotune which will give you the root and fine of the sample at that frequency playback rate then save the file

if you use the convert frequency then it does resamaple the file to the frequency rate you want which keeps the root noe and fine in the original file but doing this also if the root note is very low you have the uptranspose problem again

so the frequency playback rate is much better than conversion resampling as your just speeding up the file to play back at the frequency rate you want then useing the keys and the transpose engine to do the tuning for you
or you can put it in the sound editor of the awave and sample the original playback rate of 16khz at the root note you want

but what you choose to do to the files is up to you im just uploading the original data with a new frequency playback rate

JK1974

Unread post by JK1974 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:18 am

Have you continued working on this?

I just started a new search because I found out that I formerly only got resampled 44100 kHz samples from the Fairlight IIx Library, and I found http://www.nattvard.com/iix/index.php. For more information, have a look at http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=74611 and maybe the related thread http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=61626:
This nattvard.com-site allows you to download, but also convert Fairlight disks as sfz files, also containing the extracted unaltered original sample wav file. The sfz export could also be interesting because it really also exports the original attack and release time of the associated instrument (as well as of course the original loop points).
But maybe this is already the source of your samples?

BTW: Any idea where I get a content description/listing of the original library?

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Sat May 09, 2015 4:03 pm

on the same site he has details of the disks and the sample files used the fairlight only did one sample per instrument it was not until version 3 that multisampling was allowed

the first multisample sampler was the emulator then came the mirage and emulator 2 and the synclaviar

after that many samplers started to appear that could do multisampling

yes i use the sfz file format then in awave i change the frequency playback rate and do auto tune which gives me the tune for that frequency playback

which is usually in the 6th or 7th octave then you get a full keyboards worth the aarhh sample is actually a copy of the sarah sample a female saying arh

and is one of the most famous ones

i also have the art of noise sample fairlite collection with the famous doh and um and hey samples

i also have the full eii library and lots of user library which at some point will port as multisamples by sampling my eii output

JK1974

Fairlight voice converter tool

Unread post by JK1974 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:50 pm

I have taken a closer look at the output WAVs and SFZs from nattvard.com and found out, that the loop end point is wrong by +1 sample. I contacted the author and had a lot of mail exchange, also including a discussion about adding a "smpl" block to the WAV file to deliver the necessary sampler information independently from the SFZ file for better interopability.
He told me that upgrading of the scripts will need some time because he hasn´t touched them for several months and first needs to dig into the code again.

Unfortunately, he seems to be quite busy currently because I haven´t heard from him recently, so I created my own tool based on his .VC and .CO file format documentation to be able to convert Fairlight IIx .VC files (and associated .CO files, when they exist) to WAV files. I have attached the source code and the binary to this post - the coding style might be very bad (no libraries, no .h file), but it works. ;)

If you are on Windows, simply use the vc-2-wav.exe from the bin\Release subdirectory. It creates the WAV file as well as an information .TXT file. (similar to the .HTML file that is created on nattvard.com).
The syntax of the command line tool is easy:

Code: Select all

vc-2-wav arr.vc
will create a 8-bit WAV file with 14080 Hz.
You can also add a different output sample rate (no resampling, just faster/slower playback) and set the bit depth to 16 bit, e.g. with

vc-2-wav arr.vc 48000 16
If you change the sample rate, the new root key and pitch value is being output on the screen as well as added to the "smpl" block of the WAV file.

Once again thanks to Carl from nattvard.com for his efforts analysing the .VC and .CO file format and making this information public on his website!

UPDATE 2015/12/10:
I have attached an updated version of the tool that displays not only the midi unity value but also the midi unity note because I just recognized that the midi sample dump standard does neither transmit this value nor the pitch value. This information is also added to the .TXT info file.
In case you don´t know: Batch processing a directory can be done e.g. with the following command line in a DOS window:

for %x in (*.vc) do vc-2-wav %x 48000 16
UPDATE 2015/12/11:
The octave of the midi unity note displayed and written in the info file (not WAV!) was one octave too high. It has been fixed in the attached version. However, be aware that the WAV smpl block which carries the information conforms to the MIDI standard where C4 is middle C and has the value of 60. In the more widespread Yamaha variant, C3 is said to be middle C and also has the value 60.
Furthermore, some Fairlight samples are also not recorded as A3 - they can also be A2 or A4 when played back at A3.
Attachments
Fairlight vc-2-wav 20151211.zip
(21.65 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”