test pcm file plus presets

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

jhulk

test pcm file plus presets

Unread post by jhulk » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:28 am

i did a test file of pcms for the sy99 ready for the upcoming wavecard erxpansion for proof of concept

i did some multisamples of arp synths several arp2600 some arp solo dgx and some oddysse

i made some presets using rcm and the filters which is fun as there are 2 filters by using different cutoff frequencies and q you can get twin sweeps happening

ok i use dereks excellent sy.factory to dump the samples i never experienced the bug where you cant dump 100 samples but after i created the wavesample information start wave end wave correctly i did notice a bug in the allocation table for each wavesample and its associated waveform

it made them all sample 1 and end sample the same

but once i edited it on the sy99 as per sample start and end for each waveform all was good the sample files played fine at sample locations after 50 all the way up to 100

ok here is the legal bit you are free to use these pcm samples in your preset creation (but i do not want to see them for sale on ebay or other places or as compilations the pcms are my copywrite and i license them to you for your personal use now the presets are also my copywrite so you may use them in your productions if you wish but credit must be assigned to me so that i can collect performance rights ppl

but the whole point is to create your own presets which become your design and would love to also receive your preset ideas using the pcm set you are able to distribute your presets with the pcm set that you create and would like a good preset competition the winner gets to choose the next pcm set i create from other analog synths

here is the file
JMLAR7WV.zip
(68.41 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
thanks jml

Sonus

Re: test pcm file plus presets

Unread post by Sonus » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:05 am

Many thanks for your positive contribution! 8)
Why use 256 - 256 - 128 - 64 - 32 samples?
Why not start the loop at the first sample?
Last edited by Sonus on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:44 am

jhulk wrote:i did a test file of pcms for the sy99 ready for the upcoming wavecard erxpansion for proof of concept

ok i use dereks excellent sy.factory to dump the samples i never experienced the bug where you cant dump 100 samples but after i created the wavesample information start wave end wave correctly i did notice a bug in the allocation table for each wavesample and its associated waveform

it made them all sample 1 and end sample the same

thanks jml
Hi, I am not 100% clear, do you think that that is an sy.factory bug? If so if you can provide me with the steps you took so I can replicate the issue, I will look into it once I am back, as I want to get all of this wrapped up and a release done pretty soon (this has been on the backburner for to long!).
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.com

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:32 pm

hi derek i dont know if its a st.factory problem

it could be the bug in the sy99 like you said what i get is i place all samples allocated to the wave sound adding there root note start and end note

and fine tuning then i do this for every sample for each wave for the 100 sample allocations

then once done name the wave all the information is correct i save the tnn file before dumping the all file

it dumps everything ok all 100 samples are there but every wave instead of being allocated there sample slot each wave is assigned to sample 1 to what ever the end sample is for the first wave

so all waves sound the same so i had to edit each one and add the sample allocations on the sy99 for each wave as i had input on the sy.factory screen

which made it easy as i could see what sample was with which wave by editing the wave data in sy.factory

once i edited it each waveform played properly with the correct sample data even up to samples 60 and above upto 100

i have not tried to receive the all tnn file to see if it keeps the correct data i will try that over the coming week

iff you want a coppy of the sy.factory created tnn file let me know and i will zip it up
Last edited by jhulk on Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:55 pm

hi sonos the reason i had half a cycle before the loop and half a cycle after the loop is to keep it 2,s compliment math its easier for the cpu to compute

the other reason is some samplers dont allow loops to start on first sample or loop end on sample end

like emu requires needs samples before and after loop for interpolation math same for korg in fact korg for the for the t1 wavestation and trinity

actually -1 to loop end just in case its been truncated to loopend as sample end for interpolation if you then set it to loop end it clicks if you -1 sample from loop end it plays properly

for this reason and because these files are used in many of my samplers and synths and softsynths i do them this way as they work correctly

i can say like the virus set for the ex5 they only use 1 sample and because they dont use extra samples before or after they dont actually loop well they have a gap if it was not for theinterpolation engine on the ex5 if you try them on other samplers they click

and why i did a multisample set of them as the problem with single cycle waves if you only use one at hi root notes say c6/c7 then when they get down to c1 they loose there transient energy because they are read out of memory slower and become blurry to stop this you need a wavetable per octave

this is noticeable on the d50 d110 and other rolands that use 1 sample for the keymap

on the sy99 i tried several types from 6 notes to 4 notes per multisample to see if there is a difference and the 6 note versions sound bassier at lower root notes because they have a sample there i also looked into the rom of the sy99 and the saw and square waves use 6-8 waves for the multisample

but also if you do the full 8 notes one per octave you only get 12 wavesamples giving you 96 samples so i tried to see how far i could go at best results
i think doing 5 multisamples per wavesample which gives you 20 wavesamples for 100 sample locations is the best compromise

plus the files are so small that you dont need the expanded ram options any sy99 can use them

any way i will do lots more sets the same way i have many synths and samplers and love wavetable synthesis and the sy99 is great with them as they can be used as rcm waves listen to the patches where rcm is used

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”