[SOLVED] Some help setting up my Gotek USB floppy emulator? Feeling a little hopeless...

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

dtaki

[SOLVED] Some help setting up my Gotek USB floppy emulator? Feeling a little hopeless...

Unread post by dtaki » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:30 am

I decided to throw down the $60 or so to get the Gotek SFRM72-TU100K USB floppy emulator + a pre-made 26-pin to 34-pin cable/adapter, and I'm a little frustrated that I can't get it up and running. I've read the relevant thread here from 2012, and unfortunately the images are gone, so I can't tell what jumper settings to use. I believe that I have the correct jumpers - JA (from the manual - "set to generate READY on 34pin of floppy driver interface") and S1 ("Driver select 1") because those are the only ones that allow me to use the buttons on the front panel to cycle through the 100 folders.

I used this video to set up my USB flash drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taFP1J_lZBI

Still, I get "Bad disk" errors on the SY99. The green light on the emulator lights up when I try to access the disk functions on the SY99, but it's always "Bad Disk".

Has anyone done this recently and remembers how they got it to work?

**UPDATE**

TL;DR the eBay store suggested that it was probably just a bad unit, and they generously offered to send me a replacement of the newer SFRM72-FU-DL emulator, which requires no special software and allows for 999 disks. Sure enough, that one was more or less plug and play (as per this link: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7440)
Last edited by dtaki on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtaki

Re: Some help setting up my Gotek USB floppy emulator? Feeling a little hopeless...

Unread post by dtaki » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:02 am

In the interest of providing as much information as possible:

Here is the model floppy emulator I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331275361793?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

...and the 26-34 adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/302008606558?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I formatted the USB flash drive (of which I tried two) using the version 1.40i software here: http://www.ipcas.com/support/usb-floppy ... nload.html

I should mention that the floppy drive I am replacing used to be in a V50. And this floppy drive had issues ever since I bought the SY99 - is it possible that there is a problem with something downstream of the emulator, which would have been causing the previous floppy drive(s) not to work?

dtaki

Re: Some help setting up my Gotek USB floppy emulator? Feeling a little hopeless...

Unread post by dtaki » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:57 am

I may be getting somewhere... After looking at a few different posts here, it looks like the correct jumper configuration is that the only jumper is on S1. So I did that, but was still getting "bad disk" and "disk not ready" errors. I tried formatting on the SY99 itself, and it seemed to work! Although I then tried to copy a .J01 file from my computer over to it, with no luck.

I feel like I'm getting closer, so I will keep updating with my findings.

dtaki

Unread post by dtaki » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:12 am

A little closer still (and a little further away as well?) - I did another re-format of the 100 floppies using just the USB Floppy software, and was able to simply copy some .T0 files from my computer to the USB and read it on the SY99 without having to actually format it on the SY99. I was also able to save a song file from the SY99 onto partition 01 of the USB drive.

Here is where it gets a little weird - although I can turn off the SY99, take out and re-insert the USB etc. and still see that song file in partition 01, my computer doesn't see it at all. When I open the USB floppy software, it shows partition 01 as being empty.

Also, it looks like not all of the 100 partitions were formatted correctly. As a test, I tried putting a .T0 file on partition number 46 (at the same time as I successfully put the files on partition 00) and SY99 gives me a "Bad disk" error on #46. So it correctly formatted some of the 100, but not all of them. I'm going to try to see if I can re-format just that partition to get it to work (I tried it once but still received a "bad disk" error).

EX5_etc
United States of America

Unread post by EX5_etc » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:56 am

Hi there.

The images are down for a long time and even if I find the originals I don't think I can re-post them because I am not sure that I can edit very old posts. Only admins have that privilege.

Without getting in all the technical details, can you say which of the two types of emulators you have? The one that requires a special program to format AND access the USB stick in your computer or the one that can be simply formatted on a PC without the special program? In other words we need to know if you have generation one (pain in the butt most of the time) or generation two (much easier to deal with) of the emulator.

DrF
Motif XF6, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MJC8, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49 and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)

dtaki

Unread post by dtaki » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:44 am

Hey, thanks for the response! I believe I have the generation one emulator, as it only has 100 programs (and has been a pain in the butt to be sure!).

Ever since my last post (when at least the first two floppies were working), my SY99 has been off. I just turned it back on, and now the floppies 00 and 01 are giving me "Bad Disk" errors - these are the ones that had been working fine earlier tonight.

EX5_etc
United States of America

Unread post by EX5_etc » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:34 pm

No matter which version you may have you should not use the SY to "format" the virtual floppies/folders.

I should be able to help you when I return home and have access to all the old files. That will be at the end of August. One other solution would have been to find the information and pictures I posted on ex5tech.com; we were able to restore my old posts a few months ago. But ex5tech.com has been out for some time now.

DrF
Motif XF6, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MJC8, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49 and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)

EX5_etc
United States of America

Unread post by EX5_etc » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:46 pm

dtaki

Unread post by dtaki » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks! I will work through that post today. I'm hoping that the EX5tech forum rises from the dead one of these days - I just picked up an EX5 a month ago and would greatly benefit from the wealth of information that that forum contains.

dtaki

Unread post by dtaki » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:07 am

Alright - I looked through that post, but I'm not sure what I should be taking away from it. I have the correct jumper in place (only one jumper, at position F). The directions in post #2 are where I'm stopped - at this point, I get "Bad Disk" no matter which virtual floppy I try. This is after re-formatting on the computer, and not doing any formatting on the SY99.

What is strange to me is that it more or less worked, and then it didn't. Nothing changed from the time when the SY99 could read/write to the USB to the time when it suddenly couldn't any more, other than the fact that I had turned off the SY99 in the meantime.

dtaki

Unread post by dtaki » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:29 am

Okay - I read on and found more relevant posts later in the thread. I am going to try downloading the Windows XP Mode + Virtual PC, and try it with that 1.23 software the came with the emulator. It appears that I have the same model emulator as you mention in the SY99 post.

dtaki

Unread post by dtaki » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:56 am

Well - that was a bust. I can't set up Windows XP mode, because it is not supported on my version of Windows 7.

Although some good news - folder 00 is now working on the emulator, and for the first time, I was able to save a file on my SY99 and actually see it once I popped the USB into my computer. However, folder 01 isn't working, and I expect 00 to stop working at some point in the near future.

Will continue to troubleshoot, and see if I can get my old Windows XP machine to boot up so I can try to use that.

dtaki

Unread post by dtaki » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:15 am

One last development before I go to bed. This one is pretty interesting - using my 1.40i USB floppy software from ipcas, I saved a .T01 file onto virtual floppy 006, because that one appeared to be working in my SY99.

When I put the USB into the SY99 and navigated to "06" on the emulator, there was no file there (although that virtual floppy was working). However, when I navigated to "09" on the emulator, there was the .T01 file that I expected to find in 06! So for some reason, 00 corresponds to 00 on both SY99 and on my PC, but what the PC sees as 06, the SY99 sees as 09.

There are too many variables here to wrap my head around. I was foolishly expecting this to be plug-and-play, since it seems like many people have gotten this same emulator to work.

Sonus

Unread post by Sonus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:50 pm

dtaki wrote:So for some reason, 00 corresponds to 00 on both SY99 and on my PC, but what the PC sees as 06, the SY99 sees as 09.
V1 and V2 format tools use different 720K offsets:

V1-720K 100 floppies = 100MB (104.857.600 bytes)
V2-720K 100 floppies = 150MB (157.286.400 bytes)

dtaki

Unread post by dtaki » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:10 am

That's very interesting - thanks for the response.

For what it's worth, I contacted the eBay seller (bosity) asking if they had any insight, as they advertised this as being "for YAMAHA". Their response is that it sounds like it's defective, considering I've set it up the way that you guys have and am getting intermittent results (lately it hasn't worked at all, even intermittently).

So I'm just going to go ahead and try to return it, and see if I can find a seller who has the "good" version of this emulator in stock. I should have just bought that one in the first place anyways - unfortunately I didn't see that thread until after I already bought it!

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”