FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Anybody using an iPod Touch or iPad for music?

iPad,iPhone,iPod Touch and Android Apps and Hardware for musicians. If you see an app or pieces of hardware you think would be useful for musicians using these devices please post details here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

GabeCarter

Anybody using an iPod Touch or iPad for music?

Unread post by GabeCarter »

Anyone else using an iOS device for music production? I've been using an a M Audio Midi keyboard and a iPod Touch. Just bought SampleTank for iPhone and was blown away! I ordered the iRig Midi too for 48 more sounds too! Can't wait to use this live!

How are you using your iPhone or iPod for music?
Derek Wales
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Wales, UK

Re: Anybody using an iPod Touch or iPad for music?

Unread post by Derek »

I purchased some iPad apps for composing whilst I was on my long sojourn in Australia, but never had the time to use them. But that's how I see the iPad's music abilities; as a compositional aid for messing about with ideas.

I'm also interested in using the iPad as a control surface for Cubase, and will be playing with that over the weekend, once I've finished upgrading to Cubase 6.

What I am a huge fan of is some of the support apps for music on the iPhone/iPad, such as interactive guitar chord dictionaries, rhyming dictionaries, etc.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

Derek, have you tried Amplitube iRig for the iPhone ? Fantastic bit of kit and only £27!

Personally I'm going down the Android tablet route. Just waiting for the new Archos 10 G9
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Changed my mind on the Android thing and went iPad 2 instead. Although Android gives you more freedom the interface still lags even on the latest version of Honeycomb.
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
Derek Wales
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

I've been really happy with my iPad. I think the key choice of iPad or something else comes down to whether or not you mind it being a "closed" platform, and whether or not you love or hate Apple!

My mane annoyance with Apple is their dogma about FLASH, so you can't view all websites on the iPad. Apart from that, the iPad does all that I ask of it.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I am going to Jailbreak this one. My biggest gripe with Apple is the way they try and tell you what you can and can't do with something you have paid for! Will have to downgrade to iOS 4.3.3 but that's not a problem.

You can get around the flash problem by using iSwifter. It's on the app store and probably best to grab it now before Apple decide to remove it. It's basically a browser so you just navigate to the site with the flash on that you want to view and it's job done. It's not as smooth as going direct through Safari but of course you then would not have flash.

By the way, when you navigate to a site that has flash content with iSwifter it will come up with a pop up asking you to pay £2.99 for the app. You don't have to pay though, just close the pop up and carry on as normal :)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Barba_P

Unread post by Barba_P »

I have an Android tab, and what's cool is there are always new apps for music out there. The downside is the unit is so slooow my mood just melts away in frustration.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

What Android tab are you using ? I was going to go for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 as I have the Samsung Galaxy S phone and that's pretty good but I also get all my magazines as pdf's and the iPad handles them much better. Also all the best music apps are on the Apple platform. It's where the money is for developers.
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

pwood

Unread post by pwood »

My resurgence in playing guitar started with buying a Griffin guitar lead and using mine with the free amps and then Garageband. I would suggest anyone thinking of using the ipad for distorted guitar tones get an Apogee Jam at around £70 or another one that uses the Ipad main connection as the likes of the Griffin produce terrible feedback of the uncontrollable kind unless your noise gate it to oblivion. Clean tones are fine though.

Garageband for iPad (1 in my case) is amazing for £2.99 although I could be doing with finding a decent guide in using its capabilities. The keyboard sounds especially the piano are very life like actually all the sounds are. Still can't believe how good it is compared with a QY10 I still have from the mid 90's.
Yamaha THR10 amp, Pacifica 611HFM, 88 Fender Strat Plus
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Got the Apogee Jam myself. No feedback and of course the biggest plus is you can also use it with your Mac:-)

Garageband on the iPad is an absolute bargain! I also have it on the Mac but it is a lot easier to use on the iPad.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, whic I think is a far better device than the iPad with the exception of music apps. For some reason the Android community have never got to grips with creating equivalent music apps and interfaces which, for me does hamper it's usefulness as a musical tool. For everything else though it is superb. Also i got mine free, so that makes it doubly so :-)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

pwood

Unread post by pwood »

free is always good. Google really should be working on iphoto and garageband rivals if they want to be taken as a serious competitor. Plenty of annoyed iPad1 users with steam coming out there ears re the former app.
Yamaha THR10 amp, Pacifica 611HFM, 88 Fender Strat Plus
Barba_P

Unread post by Barba_P »

I don't use it for music really, but I have ipad mini cases to show off how awesome I am! lol
GuitarWriterMan

Unread post by GuitarWriterMan »

I use mainly PolyTune for tuning, ChordBank for checking some chords I don't know yet and GarageBand. For fun I like an app called FourChords, app with karaoke style lyrics and chords. Fun way to learn new songs fast or jam with friends !

Oh and: Hello from Finland! :mrgreen:
jt327gir

Unread post by jt327gir »

I use iRig MIdI with my iPad mini, and use some apps that are no longer available in the App Store (the person who created stopped selling them due to lack of interest, but they are excellent) - programmers for Korg DW8000, DX7/TX7, Korg M1, as well as a MIDI program changer. There are also some excellent analog- modeling synths available, such as Sunrizer synth and Magellan synth.

Korg has a Polysix app that is a pretty good clone of that wonderful vintage analog synth.

I wish someone would write an app for programming the Yamaha Motif Rack.
-------------------------------------------
YAMAHA: DX7IID, TX7, Motif Rack.
KORG: DW-8000.
ROLAND: JV-2080, A30.
ALESIS: S4 Plus.
jt327gir

Unread post by jt327gir »

Barba_P wrote:I don't use it for music really, but I have ipad mini cases to show off how awesome I am! lol
Oh ....... My...... GOD!!!!! Where did you buy your "Tard the Grumpy Cat" iPad Mini case!????? I must have one!
-------------------------------------------
YAMAHA: DX7IID, TX7, Motif Rack.
KORG: DW-8000.
ROLAND: JV-2080, A30.
ALESIS: S4 Plus.