FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

ONDA V919 iPad Air Look-a-like

iPad,iPhone,iPod Touch and Android Apps and Hardware for musicians. If you see an app or pieces of hardware you think would be useful for musicians using these devices please post details here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

jthspace

ONDA V919 iPad Air Look-a-like

Unread post by jthspace »

I currently use my iPad Air to hold all of my CD collection - albeit not in the highest quality available, but some 250 CD's have fitted in less than half of the memory of my 128Gb iPad. It connects to my SONOS speakers via the Sonos app. I also use it to stream movies and TV via the internet onto my TV's (an LG with Chromecast and a Samsung with its own internet connection). BTW, I love the SONOS speaker system, but it's not cheap.

I recently saw an iPad look-a-like (Chinese) 9.7 inch iPad Air copy which was "interesting" and, at USD170 is considerably cheaper. I was thinking this may make a nice Media Server-type of kit. It runs Android 4.4 and is rootable, so that extends the ability to have some extra "stuff"

They also do a version for USD40 extra that will dual boot Android 4.4 and Windows 8. I have a Windows 8 RT MS tablet, which I cant really think of a use for :cry: as it is just not up to the job.

The Android operating system has lots of music apps and TV streaming apps (downloadable or live) so I am tempted to see what the quality is like. There are not many reviews yet, but most of them have said that the quality is good. What makes it more interesting as a media player is that the memory is on TF cards, so it is possible to have different cards for different usage. Also, with a USB 3 port, you could attach external storage as well.

http://www.onda-tablet.com/media/catalo ... air_01.jpg

Product details

http://www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v919-3g ... ablet.html

I am very tempted to get one to see what you can do with it. Anyone else use similar for media storage / portability around the house? I was interested in the Brennan but that has gone end-of-life so is out of the picture for now. You could couple this with a HiFi system and have quite a nice set-up.

Jeff

PCMACZONE Moderator
http://www.pcmaczone.co.uk
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: ONDA V919 iPad Air Look-a-like

Unread post by Saul »

Hey Jeff. Great to see you found your way over here. You always manage to come up with these interesting bits of tech :)

I think the same tab can be found on Amazon for £129.99 but under a different brand name? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cube-TALK9X-U65 ... B00LUHS9TG

Amazing to think we're now seeing octa core cpu's in devices at this price level. Would like to get my hands on one just to test it out. Wonder how it would work running some of the new IK Multimedia apps that are heading Android's way.

I'm very happy with the iPad Air 2 but of course it's pretty damned expensive as tabs go. It is fast and it generally does what Apple says it does but that wouldn't stop me trying something else :)

I'm also liking the way speakers are going wireless at last. I have a wireless sub for the soundbar but a full wireless surround system would not go amiss. Something like that and a cheap tab to control it all would be just the job.

By the way, that Win8 RT you have I assume is the first version?
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
jthspace

Hi Saul,

Yep, thought I ought to pop over - even though my musical ear is poor - I was browsing and saw the post below this, so thought I should post something. :)

The link you put up appears to be an identical machine, Onda seem to hint they manufacture it, but these days, factories in China seem to turn out identical stuff from different factories - take the Honda 125cc GY6 unit and the Suzuki 125 and 250's - all made under licence from different factories and installed in bike frames from different names, but all near-identical under the skin. What's interesting is that the majority of the parts seem to be interchangable as well!

I have a Phillips portable stereo bluetooth speaker which I use to stream internet radio to at the flat - the quality is extremely good for something the size of an Alpen box - cost £50 in a mid-year sale last year. I would love to go for the upmarket Sonos system, but there are pressing needs - that motorbike we were discussing, the house move, pretirement - the list goes on.

I will let you know what it's like when it arrives, although the reviews on Amazon for the identical/similar tablet look promising.

Jeff
jthspace

Well, Onda and DHL are certainly on the ball . . . . . .

Origin: SHENZHEN - SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC
Destination:CAMBRIDGE - UK

2015-01-08 17:34 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG,HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2015-01-08 17:22 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG,HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2015-01-08 02:25 Clearance processing complete at HONG KONG - HONG KONG,HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2015-01-08 02:25 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG,HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2015-01-08 02:01 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG,HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2015-01-07 23:51 Customs status updated,HONG KONG - HONG KONG
2015-01-07 22:17 Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC,SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC
2015-01-07 22:04 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC,SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC
2015-01-07 21:58 Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC,SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC
2015-01-07 17:36 Shipment picked up,SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC
jthspace

The new gadget arrived, while I was out, so DHL left a card. I had to wait until Tuesday to get it.

As usual for a Chinese item, it was configured for English (US) and has a selection of rather "unusual" programs and apps loaded as standard. Most are in-built into the ROM and cannot be deleted.

It is, basically, a large Android Phone running 4.4.2. It has a well configured 16Gb internal USB drive of which approx 12Gb is free to load apps. I have put a 64Gb TF card in and it is recognised and formatted automatically. It has a Micro SIM slot but my WorldSIM card is not recognised as it does not pull-in the SIM tools from the SIM card so cannot find a signal. I will buy a PAYG SIM from Tesco when I next go there.

It proved impossible to root the ROM using all of the APK or USB type methods - 4.4.2 is known to be extremely difficult and 4.4.3 almost impossible (I have read). I saw an add on the web for a USD39.95 root or your money back. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained, so I clicked on the link. A chat box opened and I discussed the issue (Chinese tablet / 4.4.2 etc.) and the techy guy said it was 50/50. He did confirm that if it didn't work there would be no damage and a full refund; if it did work, then that's good. I paid by PayPal and as soon as it went through, I got an invite to allow remote access. The tech guy downloaded iRoot (which has already failed for me) as well as a small toolkit. He ran a DOS promt and got the phone to be recognised - this is the secret that made it work; a standard USB/Phone driver is not working well with 4.4.2.

Once the phone saw the USB connection, he ran iRoot and after 5 minutes and a few reboots, it was rooted. He then tidied up the PC by deleting the files he had downloaded.

On the tablet, I now had a rooted ROM and a selection of new Chinese icons (SuperCLeaner / SuperUser and a few "extras"). Being untrustworthy, I wanted to replace those a.s.a.p. but being careful not to disturb anything that might un-root me. I went to bed, it was 11:30 and I didn't want to make any mistakes.

This morning, I researched what was available. First install was BUSYBOX FREE which I have always read is a util you should install. Next was SuperSU which is the utility that is normally part of a "Western" root process. As it loaded, it complained that there was already a SuperUser App installed (the Chinese one) so I ticked the box to say "replace it" and kept my fingers crossed. All went OK, rebooted and I now had SuperSU up and running. Next app to look at was the Chinese SuperCleaner which kept popping up saying it was cleaning up the cache etc. Made me suspicious. So, first thing was to get rid of it. It was a simple drag and uninstall.

I was still left with a lot of icons of unknown use (Chinese Characters / Chinese Browser / Chinese email app etc etc) that were part of the ROM and couldn't be deleted.

Next App load : Root App Deleter - says it all. I ran it in "Junior" mode (so no irrepairable damage can be done) and "disabled" everything I could recognise - this removes the icon from the desktop, but does not delete the App. I will wait a few days and if nothing falls over, I will go back and run as "Professional" which allows permanent (and irreplaceable) deletion.

Next App : Root Explorer which, like a file explorer, lets you look everywhere.
Next App : Titanium Backup - allows you to backup to SD card or elsewhere Apps, setting etc.

Logged into Google / Playstore, clicked "My Apps" and started downloading all of the Android Apps I wanted to replicate on the tablet (TV, Radio, AllCast, Netflix . . . etc)

There are a few very important apps which are involved with the Root, so I created a Root folder and moved all of the icons into it. Also there were a few Chinese icons that I could not get rid of, so they went in the folder as well. I then moved it to the last desktop well out of the way - out of sight, out of mind :)

Interestingly, it looks like the full phone hardware is built in as well - along with SMS messaging app there is a phone dialler. I *#06# on the keypad and got an IMEI response and there is a phone onhook/offhook ability, so I assume there is a workin phone. Without a SIM, I cant try it (yet). Dealving a bit deeper, it may be the phone is disabled as a few settings are greyed out - not sure if it is because there is no SIM inserted or if it is missing some hardware?

Downside : the wireless receiver is a little deaf - my iPad gets a 90% signal almost everywhere int he hosue, this droped the signal upstairs and gives a 75% signal strength within sight of the wireless router. This is a common complaint with Chinese phones and tablets.

So, for less than £100, you get a 9.7" iPad looking tablet, running Android 4.4.2 - not bad at all. Little sign of lag, streams vid and music to the Sonos speaker / Samsung TV with no issues.

Jeff
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

Lot's going on there Jeff! That remote rooting, was that carried out solely on the pad or was the pad connected to the computer and the remote log in was done there?

Wondering why a lot of stuff was actually installed in the rom itself. Seems a little odd but then again it's a Chinese tab so they have their own way of doing things. I wonder if the one on Amazon has the same features.

Android 4.4.2 isn't bad at all but wondering if it will go to Android 5.0? Would be pretty impressive if it does :)

Also very interesting that is has a micro sim slot! Would really like to know how that works when your out and about. Most times we can get a wi-fi connection but occasionally it would be useful to have a mobile connection.

How is the build quality? Any flex etc? also how is the screen resolution?
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
jthspace

Hi Saul,

All Android phones come with vendor bloatware; one of the reasons to root is to go back to vanilla or homebuilt ROM instead of all of the added "features" :)

The tablet was connected to the PC via USB for the root, it really was easy. As you know, I hate paying someone to do something I could do myself, but in this case, it was worth the money as I had probably spent too many hours browsing and downloading different tools. If you look at my hourly rate and the USD40 it cost to root . . . It's not often I have to spend out for things like that.

Not sure this will take Android 5 unless the manufacturer releases a version, not sure this is popular enough to have the homebuilders make a specific V5 look-alike either, so may be limited as far as that goes - if one wanted that flexibility, then one has to look towards mainstream Nexus or more popular units that have wider followings.

I have ordered a "free" micro data sim so will report back a.s.a.p. As I have Sky broadband, I get iCloud access in the price so rarely need a data connection, and if I do, I have unlimited tether with Three £15 monthly plan - and I never manage to use all the minutes up on that!

Also I see Sky is doing 12 months free unlimited broadband on a 12 month contract at the moment. When I told them I was moving to TalkTalk 4 months ago, they immediately price-matched without an argument and when I "umm'ed and arr'ed" they sent one of their new routers. Competition . . . . my Sky Broadband and Phone plan works as advertised, biggest issue is BT mucking about in the street boxes as they install fibre in the village. I have TalkTalk Broadband in the flat and that is really great, I have the standard £3.50 package, unlimited, and as it is near the exchange, I can regularly get 15 meg connection, drops to 10 for a few days if I turn the router off at the mains when I am not there.

Build quality is really excellent, metal body so no flex. Screen is good, it has the shipping sticky on the front at the moment which isn't quite optically clear. I would like to be able to make the icons a bit smaller on screen to make it look less basic, if that is the right expression. A theme would probably sort that out, but I am too busy at the moment setting the new Company up to have the luxury of "playing" :(

I used it last evening to stream a movie from Flipps to the Samsung TV, no problems at all. Plays music well, streams to the Sonos system via Allcast app so could be a good addition to the media requirements. I have a 64Gb TF card in it at the moment, will try and get a 128Gb card when I can afford it (dearer than the tablet!) - the ones on eBay are very very flaky so avoiding those (been caught before).

Jeff
jthspace

OK, got rid of the (quite) horrible Onda Desktop by downloading the (free) Android Desktop GO along with a few themes. Google Play and search for Android Tablet Themes. They have the same for Android phones as well. Very impressive - in fact, I was impressed enough to pay the $5 upgrade fee to Professional version.

The V919 now looks really good, nice screen design, nice icons, special scrolling effects, ability to load Widgets (which seemed to be missing from Onda Desktop, or at least I could never find how to), altogether a very capable machine for what it is - and really does look like an iPad when you have it in your hand. If anyone wants a cheapish tablet, then this Chinese one is up there with the other "reasonably priced cars" as they say.

Costs : Tablet / 64Gb Kingston Memory Card / Shipping : GBP 150.00
Rooting using web connect : GBP 25.00
Software : GBP 3.75

All approx, converted from USD - say GBP180 all in.

Jeff