YC-45D to a hammond

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

J-bird

YC-45D to a hammond

Unread post by J-bird » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:52 am

Please someone please help me get my yamaha YC-45D organ sounding like a hammond i've heard it's a great substitute but i just can't get it sounding close enough.

Thanks, J-bird

Leith

Re: YC-45D to a hammond

Unread post by Leith » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:07 am

Hello There!

I've found that running mine through a rotary speaker simulator such as a Boss RT-20, or a real rotary speaker, gives my YC-45D a sound that is very close to a Hammond. Adding a bit of post-organ eq changes the tonal characteristics of the stop tabs, so that can help too. Another trick that I've learned is to use the stop tabs with varying degrees, as they each have multiple divisions. If by chance you ever want a Boston-ish sound, I've found that running my YC-45D into a chorus pedal, or, in my case, a GK 250ML which has stereo chorus, almost nails the sound of Tom Scholz's Hammond. I've also gotten the PERFECT Jon Lord Machine Head era tone by running my YC-45D through a 30 dollar Danelectro FAB Distortion pedal, so you can get great Hammond sounds for very little money if you do a bit of experimenting.

The most important tip for getting a Hammond sound out of your YC-45D is to play it like a Hammond! Don't be scared to get a bit of Keith Emerson in your soul, and to go nuts!

I hope that I have been of some help! Good luck!

Leith

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”