Yamaha RM50 manager (voice editor and rhythm kit editor)

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

tux
Kiribati

Re: Yamaha RM50 manager (voice editor and rhythm kit editor)

Unread post by tux » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:07 am

The YAML warning can be ignored, your main problem is you don't have 'make' installed. from a quick google it appears that on OS X 'make' is part of the Xcode toolkit.

Try installing the Apple Xcode toolkit first and then run the above two commands again as 'root' user.
(maybe i'll just stick to the front panel of the RM50 :mrgreen: ):
Alternatively if you have a Windows or Linux PC (or even a Windows VM on OS X) it would be far easier, the package I made for Windows includes Perl and all the required modules, all you need to do is unzip and run it, no need to install anything else.

Also the RM50_Manager has MIDI support on Windows and Linux, while on OS X there is no MIDI support (due to the lack of a OS X Perl MIDI library).

My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

midiquestions

Unread post by midiquestions » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:27 am

Hey, I am just about done with a partial release of my BCRM50 project, and I just wanted to let you know that when using RM50 Manager to change some voice settings, I kept having it load faulty data pertaining to output jack and alt group assignments on some voice SysEx files. For some reason, I would load the SysEx file, have it come up on the wrong out jack and/or alt group, correct it, save it, then re-load it, and it would be back to the bad settings again. It was only on a few voices, but it was enough that I had to wind up using the front panel some because I couldn't get around it. It worked 100% though otherwise!

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:45 am

Could you provide me with some example sysex files saved from the RM50 Manager that contain wrong out jack and/or alt groups and also tell me what the intended settings where for each of the files?

This would help me debug the problem.

Thanks for your help.

My Yamaha RM50 page

midiquestions

Unread post by midiquestions » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:09 am

I pulled up the files again in RM50 Manager, and they mostly loaded normally. Maybe it needed to be closed, then re-opened? I did have one which came up with the wrong settings, then I corrected them and selected "Save" from the "File" menu, then re-opened the file, and it hadn't saved. When I did a "Save As" and re-loaded the file, it came up correctly. So not sure but I actually don't have anything else to share at this point.

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 am

midiquestions wrote:I did have one which came up with the wrong settings,
It would really be very useful if you could provide me with this file, also telling me which setting is wrong and what values you expected.

It's hard for me to debug the issue without having an example of a file that contains wrong settings.

My Yamaha RM50 page

midiquestions

Unread post by midiquestions » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:09 am

I would, but it has the right settings now. I think the problem was actually that the "save" command wasn't working; it needed to be run as "Save As."

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 pm

midiquestions wrote:I would, but it has the right settings now. I think the problem was actually that the "save" command wasn't working; it needed to be run as "Save As."
Hmm, the code for 'Save' and 'Save As' is identical (other than the preliminary part asking for the filename in case of 'Save As') so that doesn't make much sense... :?

My Yamaha RM50 page

midiquestions

Unread post by midiquestions » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:38 am

I don't know then. All I know is, I was having problems as described, then re-opened the program and files a couple of days later, and the files were as I had been trying to set them. If I see it happen again, I will definitely send you the files.

midiquestions

Unread post by midiquestions » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:28 am

Question for you:

Can you point me to a description of the RM50 SysEx data that handles voice saving in the I-MX bank user slots? I'm not sure I can do it well with the buttons I have available, but one of the things I would really like to do on the BCRM50 is to make a "save voice" feature.

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, do you want to send a sysex dump of a complete voice from the BCR2000 to the RM50?
If that's the case then you need to look at this document I wrote:
http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/files/Yama ... etails.txt
The format of the sysex wrapper is on page 128 of the manual:
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi ... M50E_3.PDF

My Yamaha RM50 page

midiquestions

Unread post by midiquestions » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:34 pm

No, my question was more along the lines of, is the command, "copy I-MX 01 to I-MX 94," distillable into a single line of SysEx that could, for example, be assigned to a button on the BCR2000? In other words, when you're working on a voice on the BCR2000, I'd like to make it so that users could press a button and have it copy to a "backup" voice slot (somewhere in the 33-128 range) without having to get up and interact with the front panel of the RM50.

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:49 pm

midiquestions wrote:No, my question was more along the lines of, is the command, "copy I-MX 01 to I-MX 94," distillable into a single line of SysEx that could, for example, be assigned to a button on the BCR2000?
Hmm, I'm not sure whether that's possible via sysex, if it isn't mentioned in the MIDI section at the back of the manual then it probably isn't possible.

My Yamaha RM50 page

Rigo

Unread post by Rigo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Anyone here that uses (or used) the RM50 Manager with an Alyseum AL-88(c) midi interface ? I got rid of my AMT-8 (being on Windows) and now have an AL-88c. But this involves setting up connections via Copperlan, and I'd like to know how I can check if the communication is set up properly. Midi being implemented only 1 way on the Windows version of the RM50 Manager doesn't help.
I just installed Perl and the extra libraries, so I can take a look at the source code.

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Rigo wrote:But this involves setting up connections via Copperlan, and I'd like to know how I can check if the communication is set up properly.
Do the MIDI ports of the Alyseum not show up in the pull down menu where you configure the MIDI out port on RM50 Manager?

Make sure you start RM50 Manager after the Alyseum is connected and configured because RM50 Manager only scans for available devices once when it starts up.

My Yamaha RM50 page

Rigo

Unread post by Rigo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:41 pm

As far as I know I have to make a link between the hardware ports from the AL-88c and the virtual software ports visible inside applications. The virtual ports are available inside the RM50 Manager, and I selected the one that I configured to go to the hardware port where the RM50 is connected to.
But is there something I can do (in the Manager or on the RM50) to check if the connection is as it should be ? Or am I stuck here with only 1-way communication ?

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”