Old Yamaha Keyboard

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

LunaEros

Old Yamaha Keyboard

Unread post by LunaEros » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:10 am

I picked up an old Yamaha EZ-150 and works pretty good but I have a problem that's frustrating me.

When I turn it on and just leave it sitting idle after 3 minutes it switches into song mode and starts cycling through the song numbers while lighting up the keys but make no sound during it.
That wouldn't be too much of a problem but it also does this if I'm playing a MIDI file through it from the computer. For some reason I guess it still thinks it's not being used switches to that mode and stops playing the MIDI being sent to it.

Does anyone know how to disable that... I guess 'feature'?
I can't find anything in the manual I DL'ed from Yamaha or anywhere else.

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Re: Old Yamaha Keyboard

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:57 am

Try disabling the Demo feature, as described in the note in the bottom left corner of page 14:
Demo Cancel function that allows you to disable the Demo feature. To use this, simultaneously hold down the [DEMO] button and turn the power on ([STANDBY/ON] button). While the power is on in this condition, pressing the [DEMO] button has no effect. To turn Demo Cancel off, simply turn the power off and back on again normally.
If that doesn't stop it, maybe there's some kind of internal fault.

Michael Rideout
Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400

LunaEros

Unread post by LunaEros » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:37 am

I completely missed that in the manual.
I tried it but unfortunately it works exactly like the book said.
I don't think it's part of the demo function.
When it's cycling through what appear to be the songs according to the LED it goes through each one in about 3 seconds.
Hopefully someone that has or had one knows what it is.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:17 am

Hi <LunaEros> - and welcome to the forums . . . .

I'm not familiar with the EZ-150, but could it be that there is a button stuck in the <pressed> position somewhere?

If the board is second user, then you have no way of knowing how hard a life it has had :?

Go round ALL the buttons and press them, and SEE if any feel "strange". Just give them a workout . . . . .

It may be that there is a diagnostic mode available. (Usually accessed by holding down one or more buttons - and powering on)

This allows you to step through all the functions/keys/buttons one by one and will usually indicate a problem, if found - possibly indicating what it is . . . .

Perhaps someone in here knows what that key-combination might be? (Its often NOT in the USER Manual)

Perhaps that helps?

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Your keyboard has a built-in test program that you can use to check whether it has any obvious problems, such as whether any ROM or RAM chips are defective, and whether all of the panel controls are functioning correctly. Some tests require hooking up special equipment to test output levels and audio frequencies, and you should skip those tests (unless you have the necessary equipment and know how to use it safely). If any tests report that a problem was detected, you'll need to take the keyboard to a service technician for repair; but running the built-in tests will at least let you know whether there's a problem that needs fixing.

The test program is described in the PORTATONE EZ-150 Service Manual, which you can download for free from the ElektroTanya web site. Go to http://elektrotanya.com/ and scroll down to the search fields near the bottom of the page. Enter "Yamaha EZ 150" in the first field, leave the second field set to "All," change the third field to "All," and click the "Search" button. When the search results are shown, click the link to go to the next page. You should see a document preview image of the manual's title page. Below that image is some text. Look for the line that says "This file is downloadable free of charge: ...processing..." You'll need to wait patiently for a minute of two, then the line should change to say "This file is downloadable free of charge: Get Manual," at which point you can click on the "Get Manual" link to download the manual. If by chance your computer opens the manual rather than downloading it, don't forget to save it to your computer. The instructions for the test program begin on page 16.

Michael Rideout

LunaEros

Unread post by LunaEros » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Everything tests fine.
Gotta be some sort of setting.

peacecore

Unread post by peacecore » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi All,

I have the same model, so am getting the same issues.

It does seem to be a design feature rather than a fault. Does anyone know how to turn of the silence flashing after a few minutes?

If I press a note on the keyboard the midi file continues playing, so it must be some sort of inactivity timeout.

Regards,

Peace

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 pm

I wonder if you can fool the keyboard into thinking it's in use by putting an object on one of the keys to keep it held down? If that works, you might want to use a different key each time to minimize wearing out a particular key.

Michael Rideout

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”