DSR-2000 Problems

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

StickGiraffe

DSR-2000 Problems

Unread post by StickGiraffe » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:08 pm

I recently bought a late-'80s DSR-2000 keyboard and have been having problems with it since day one. At first, the keyboard would occasionally cut-out for a split second and then the power would return, resetting the keyboard and resulting in a large crackly noise from the speakers, the latter of which would always catch me off-guard and scare me to death, especially at a high volume.
I blew some compressed air into the machine's power input on the back and changed the plug on the end of the power supply and this solved the problem, as the keyboard was fine for a few weeks until recently. When I moved the keyboard to adjust the stand it was on, I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in, and the resetting returned.
I have no idea what this problem could be as I'm no major electronics expert, and I'm not prepared to go opening the machine up at this point in time. Could anyone shed some light onto what is causing the resets?
Also, as a side question, the 'Track 1' button on the keyboard's sequencer section is not working, as when pressed, the LED above it does not come on. Would that problem warrant an opening-up?

StickGiraffe

Re: DSR-2000 Problems

Unread post by StickGiraffe » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:10 pm

Quick update for anyone interested; the keyboard is now working perfectly (apart from the sequencer button) and all I did was unplug it and plug it back in again. I attempted to do a few tests to see whether the problem was coming from my 6-plug extension lead, as I occasionally have my PS4 or laptop plugged in at the same time as the keyboard, but the keyboard worked fine throughout, so I have absolutely no idea as to what is going on.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: DSR-2000 Problems

Unread post by parametric » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi SG- and welcome to the forums.

My guess would be intermittent power . . . .

As you have already replaced the coax connector on the end of the PSU, then bad connection there is not likely.

Could be that the receiving socket on the DSR has got "tired" with time and is not making good contact. That would probably not be difficult to replace if need be.

If the PSU is the original one, it could be that there is a discontinuity in the thin little wire that carries the power.

Flexing over time can make these go bad. These are usually difficult to replace, as the PSUs are often sealed and not designed to be serviced.

If you can get hold of a meter? set it for 12v DC and connect to the coax plug and observe the voltage while flexing the wire along its length. This should reveal if there IS a break somewhere.

If so, time for a new PSU perhaps?

A generic will do so long as it is (or can be set to be) the same voltage, power rating and POLARITY as the original.

That may be all it is.

The sequencer button is a different problem which probably requires opening it up.(IMO)

It depends if the buttons are discrete or "membrane" type. Discrete can be replaced individually. Membrane are more difficult, but might be possible to clean* . . .? - or that bank membrane may need to be replaced . . .

Yamaha generally have a good reputation for holding spares for long times, in our experience . . .

*Perhaps someone else can chime in here?

hope that helps?

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”