Yamaha YPG-535

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

jeff-carolina
United States of America

Yamaha YPG-535

Unread post by jeff-carolina » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Until now I've only owned guitars, and that changed when I was out and saw a Yamaha YPG 535 for sale at a local Pawn shop. I bought it and while my research shows it is not a high end keyboard I'm intrigued and feel it will get me on my way to playing a piano/keyboard.
I mainly wanted something to help me add other instrument to my songs. I would really like to hear any feedback Positive and Negative on this model. Is it a good model to help me record, etc.? The manual says it can record 6 tracks, but having it only a day I have not got close to being ready to try that out, but I do know the ease of use matters a lot also. Thank-You for any help that can be provided.

Jeff

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Re: Yamaha YPG-535

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:50 pm

I think you'll enjoy it. :)

The "Negative" characteristics, as I see them: It has low polyphony for a "digital grand" (32 notes). It uses XGlite (versus XG). It can play only two variations per style (versus four). It can load only one "user" style at a time. Its built-in recorder (song sequencer) isn't very fancy. And it has only two registrations per bank.

The "Positive" characteristics, as I see them: It has 88 keys. It has the "full keyboard" chord-fingering feature. And it can use external Music Database files.

Michael Rideout
Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:54 am

I forgot to mention a few more "Positive" features-- a dot-addressable LCD screen, with the ability to display notation, chords, and lyrics.

As I said, I think you'll enjoy it. And if you eventually find yourself running up against any of its shortcomings, you can use it as a MIDI keyboard controller for playing soft synths and other virtual instruments. :)

By the way, my three Yamaha keyboards share most of the same "Negative" traits as your YPG-535, but they don't have any of its "Positive" traits.

Michael Rideout

jeff-carolina
United States of America

Unread post by jeff-carolina » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:38 am

Thank-You for your feedback, so far I'm enjoying it!! I don't know a thing about keyboards when it comes down to it, but went with Yamaha, as everything else I've had has been a quality product. I do like the sound of it, it sounds real enough for my enjoyment. I printed the manual off and will start playing with the teaching modes to help me learn how to play, and how to utilize it's features.
On another note I see you have Georgia/South Carolina listed!! Nice. My wife and I spent 4 years near Augusta and loved it, before moving to South Carolina. Happy New Year and Thanks again!!

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Ha! It's a small world after all. :) I was born in Aiken, SC (near Augusta), and went to college in Columbia. Then I lived and worked in Augusta for many years before moving to Peachtree City (near Atlanta). Now I'm moving back to Aiken.

Michael Rideout

jeff-carolina
United States of America

Unread post by jeff-carolina » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:05 pm

Yes it is a small world. This part of the country is very nice, especially after dealing with the northern winters of Ohio. Getting ready to practice, everyday I learn a little more about the keyboard and really do enjoy it so far.

Jeff

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:14 am

My father is from Toronto, Ohio. I used to have to explain to my friends that, yes, I did mean to say Toronto, not Toledo, and yes, it was in Ohio, not Ontario! And my mother was from Michigan. They wised up and moved to South Carolina long before I was conceived, but I did "inherit" a Midwestern accent from them, mixed in with a little bit of Southern accent picked up at school. :)

Michael Rideout

jeff-carolina
United States of America

Unread post by jeff-carolina » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:08 am

Yes it is a very common trend for a lot of northerners. Gotta love 9-10 months of Summer.

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”