Garritan, Abbey Road, Yamaha CFX lite.

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

SysExJohn
Uganda

Garritan, Abbey Road, Yamaha CFX lite.

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Thinking about it, I suppose I'm no longer really interested in much of the new stuff because I know, now retired, that I could never afford any of it.
It's been a long, long time since a new technology caught my eye. I know I'm not alone here.
I recall being enthused, in the very beginning with analogue synths, way back in '68 when I bought the LP (remember them?) of Carlos' Switched on Bach.
But I was relatively penniless back then.
When I could afford equipment, first with FM technology in the form of the various flavours of DX (I own a PLG100-DX), then the AN types of synth (now I have both a PLG150-AN and an AN1x) later with VL (PLG100-VL). Which came first, AN or VL?

There's not been another technology that has really captured my imagination since then.
Some nice kit, I'd love an EX5, but nothing "captivating" for many decades it seems.
Maybe there are only so many ways of synthesising sounds.

Except ...

The only real advances, in my view, are the fairly major steps that have been made in real instrument sampling and playback.
I just laid out some relatively small dough ($79) on the Garritan, Abbey Road, Yamaha CFX lite sample set.
They've just added partial pedalling to the SFX code, improving the product immensely.

What a seriously realistic sounding sampled piano.

It comes as a stand alone player (called ARIA) and a VST (and various other formats suitable for a Mac).
Every key has been sampled at twenty (yes, 20) different dynamic levels with various other samples with sustain or soft pedal etc.
The download is a mere two and a half Gig, expanding to twenty five Gig upon installation.
It definitely benefits from having the sample set installed on a separate high speed drive, or better SSD.

If any one is interested I can post some more.

John.

A sample of some Chopin being played using a fully digital set up. Use some good speakers or phones.

MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Garritan, Abbey Road, Yamaha CFX lite.

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:33 pm

Apologies John - I just fixed your post so the vid displays properly . . (Y) -

Although there are some great technologies around - I suspect that Physical modelling is coming to the fore - as the computing power we have is now enough to achieve this on the fly . . . .

I'm still having fun with VSTis and getting to grips with intelligent articulation switching using the LOW midi keys . . (neat idea).

Stacked against that though is the IMMEDIACY of hardware - Switch it on and Play! - which is the keyboard or Piano Players first instinct.

Whilst we tend to detest being "led" as we try to create our Music . . . If we want to make use of the "technology" to reach for the stars -

then we have to comply to a degree . . . and it's the EXTENT of that degree that tends to annoy :lol:

A perfect illustration of "Less is More" - IMHO . . . .

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks for fixing the vid, Chris. I knew I'd got something wrong but couldn't work out what it was.
(I'm sure I've been told before, but it's one of those AAADD things I think.)

:lol: Yup, all that, but ...

Just the thought of having a $180,000, nine foot grand (sort of) to play on is something rather special I'm sure you'd agree. :?:
There's not a chance I could ever afford a nine foot grand (or even be let anywhere near one, to be honest).
And you're quite right. Even from a 7200 rpm eSATA disk drive, it takes good while to load the initial 1.25 GBytes of samples. :lol:

I tried initially loading the samples onto the system disk, result = :/:

UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:14 pm

As to physical modelling, yes, I believe Pianoteq is a well respected modelled Piano.

Has anyone taken a look at Keyscape by Spectrasonics?
Some luscious sounding keys there. Let's see if I can get the youtube link right this time.
Spectrasonics intro, apologies if it offends.

Yay! :D

I'm saving the pennies for a copy of this, 36 instruments in one package.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Pianoteq does sound rather good (I've not heard it beyond online demos), but it's tiny size has got to be attractive.

I have enough Pianos ATM with the VSTis that come with Kontakt5 + I'm very happy with the Fusion's resident Pianos - particularly the Holy Grail Grand Piano from Q-Arts . . .

Most likely (As Derek has said) I should focus on producing something with the enormous selection of instruments I already have . . . :roll:

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”