Please, I am very close to buying a Yamaha CPX, but...?

The CPX are high quality series of acoustic guitars featuring tops made from select pieces of spruce on bodies and backs of flamed maple. The CPX is designed to provide great playability for on-stage performance with large and deep bodies that deliver a dynamic sound, bracing designs that resist feedback, and single cutaways that provide access to the upper neck.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

Greenbow

Re: Please, I am very close to buying a Yamaha CPX, but...?

Unread post by Greenbow » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:37 am

Saul wrote:What price were you going to pay for it and where were you buying it from? A deal can always be done ;)
Yeah, I am going to have to call them I think. Not going to say right now in case I jinx it - we never know, they may be reading.

Greenbow

Unread post by Greenbow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Hello again folks.

I had to side-line buying my guitar for a while. I still had my heart set on the Yamaha CPX 1200II, but I bought Cubase and Wavelab (Pro 9). I got busy, haha.

Anyway I did order a Yamaha CPX 1200II just recently. I am going with Professional Music Technology https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/

They made me a quote for £1099 including a Hiscox Pro-GAD case. (I thought that was fair as the guitar lists at about £1200.) .... They didn't have one in stock, or even have that model on their website.

Anyway I paid by Paypal on the 5th of July. However I still have not heard any news from them. I called them after about nine days, and was told they had not made the order yet. Today (19th July) I emailed my contact and asked for an update. I have not had a reply yet today. I have to admit I am feeling despondent now.

If I don't hear from them by Saturday, I will telephone either the store I ordered from or head office. I need to get a move on, as I think there may be a limit on Paypal claims. (Like item not received.)

Sorry I disappeared for so long with you guys. I really did take a sidestep and have been very busy with Cubase.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:22 pm

They should not have taken your money if they didn't have it in stock and could not provide a date when it would be in stock.

When you agreed to order what did they say about time frames for delivery?

There is a default delivery period of 30 days during which the retailer needs to deliver unless a longer period has been agreed. However given that you have been left with no updates from them and they have no replied to your email I think you have a good case to cancel the order and go elsewhere.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 pm

By the way, I posted this on their twitter and facebook pages so let's see if they take their reputation seriously!

One thing though. All guitars now have to go through a new certification to make sure they are constructed from sustainable and legal woods. This is causing a massive headache for dealers. The certification takes quite some time and is the main reason the TransAcoustic was delayed for so long. The CPX1200II has probably been a victim of the same red tape.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49

Greenbow

Unread post by Greenbow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

There was actually no need to worry in the end..

I had also made a mistake. I thought it had been two weeks and one day since I paid. However it was one day less than two weeks. I think that was fine considering that had to order the guitar in. They did go out of their way because the guitar was not even listed on their website. They also had to make a stock sheet to be able to order it. I think they have done quite well. .... I just got flustered I think.

I telephoned them the next day after posting here. They said the guitar had now arrived at their store, and I was elated.

It's taken a few days to move another step forward but that's on me. They have offered me some free strings, and maybe two pairs. Meaning delivery has waited for me to sort out some string choices.

I have been not able to do the maybe half hour needed to research which string I want. Then compare with which strings they stock. Just been busy and poorly so sleeping a lot. .. Anyway I have figured out what to do about strings, and I had previously been thinking about guitar acoustics anyway.

Sorry if I made a mistake here, but I am quite poorly at the moment, and the consequences are I am suffer extreme exhaustion. I am so sleepy when I am awake and easily make mistakes all the time.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Sorry to hear your not well right now. Your health has to be the number one priority, everything else can wait.

Having said that, I don't think you were at all premature in making this thread. You still waited far too long for a response from PMT and they should have updated you on a time frame for delivery when they accepted the order. If I took my customers money for a website and then simply did not contact them for two weeks they would rightfully be concerned. It's just simple good customer service to ensure people are in the frame and know what is happening.

They did respond to my facebook post by the way and had seen this thread so I don't think it was time wasted in posting it. Perhaps the next customer placing an order like yours will benefit from your experience and they will be kept fully in the loop as to how their order is progressing.

Anyway glad to hear you got it sorted. Do rest up though. The guitar is in the store now so you can collect or have it delivered any time :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Greenbow

Unread post by Greenbow » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:10 pm

I wouldn't have posted here if I had known you were going to post on their website. I was posting here to talk to you and your other moderator in the knowledge that this thread was quite quiet. I mean, it's been nice chatting along with you folks anyway, and I felt compelled to update you.

I don't know what to do now. ... I am going to offer to pay for a freebie that they have entitled me with.

I am content that they have replied on their Twitter page, and don't mind if they criticised me.

The main thing for me is that I soon have my guitar and it's perfect. In that situation, I think I will be leaving a five-star review with Trust Pilot.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Why are you offering to pay for something they are giving you for free? It's their mistake not yours. You have done nothing wrong at all. They SHOULD have updated you and they didn't. They took your payment and you didn't hear anything from them for almost two weeks. That's bad customer service and I think if you were to ask around you would find that everyone including the stores themselves would agree that they should not have left you in the dark.

IF they had kept you updated you would not have been posting here so who is to blame for that?

Be happy your getting your guitar and are being compensated for the mistakes they made. They are more than happy to give you the free strings so please take them.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Greenbow

Unread post by Greenbow » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Saul, it's because I posted online leaving the company details and it got posted on their Twitter. That is why I offered payment for an item that I was offered free.

I am not laying any blame or distrust with you. Please truly understand that. I am taking responsibility for my actions. I should have thought before posting.

It wasn't quite the case that I heard nothing from them for thirteen days. It was actually that I had to contact them, to find information. I called once and was told the order was not made yet. Then I called a second time, and was told the guitar was with them. I mean it was fair that the item took a while to get, considering they didn't have a URL for the item. They had to make stock changes to get it. However it was the lack of replies to emails, and my being forced to telephone them, that bothered me.

I do not know if they are being deliberately horrid to me. It feels like that sometimes. However I am still not well and that does not help with patience and keeping stuff in perspective. It's like trying to make decisions and work out how to feel, after being awake for thirty-six hours.

Anyway they had initially offered me some free strings. However I decided to wait until the guitar arrived to evaluate which strings I wanted to use. Brighter brass, or mid toned brass-phosphorus. The CPX 1200II is full bodied, and so bassy, but with the cut-away it will maybe balance sound. It's back and sides are made of rosewood, which can lean toward a warmer sound.

Thus I changed my mind and wanted a strap for safety, (with me being tired). Given it was more expensive than a set of strings, I made offer and paid for it.

However initially, they did offer me the stray free anyway. This was agreed on Wednesday 26th July. Then on Thursday I took it upon myself and sent them payment for the strap via Paypal. ... They were not sure they had the strap I wanted in stock, so I had to wait. Meaning waiting longer for my guitar. ... I must admit I find it disturbing that they have not thanked me for, or even acknowledged this payment.

I mean, they probably think I am a horrible customer. However I am back in the situation where I feel I have to telephone them again. I would like to know if they found they had the strap I wanted in stock. Or if they have had to order one. They have had part of Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and most of Monday, to let me know. After promising to let me know what the state of play would be, regarding stock of strap. I decided to wait on delivery of guitar so they could save on postage and send all together. As you can imagine I get anxious.

Greenbow

Unread post by Greenbow » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Guitar arrived today. It's more stunning in person.

Translucent black CPX 1200 II.

Even just catching a string sets off harmonics playing on their own. (Something I think that is characteristic of rosewood.)

Greenbow

Unread post by Greenbow » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 pm

I feel quite conscious that I have given the impression that I have been unfair.

I posted earlier that I had not heard from PMT for two weeks after having paid them. Then backtracked and since then, this thread went quiet.

Please let me elaborate. ... I paid for the item and received no contact from PMT for about eight or nine days. Finally getting sick of waiting for even the slightest news, I called them. I was told the order had not been made yet. There was no apology or even interest in the contact I had at PMT at this time. After about a week more I called them again, and was told the guitar was there in the store. I wasn't given an expected shipping date. I left the conversation, expecting them to come back with a shipping date. I had to call again a few days later to ask If they had checked it over and were ready to dispatch. (Due to more I forgot, and sorry I didn't reply to your emails, it took about another ten days to dispatch.)

However I have placed myself in the line of being dishonest. When actually I was not incorrect. I did not hear from them. I had to contact them.

While this may seem like I am making argument over trivialities, let me elaborate again. I have a single email conversation that comprises of thirty-four emails, and most of them are mine. Either asking for information about shipping, or whatever. Plus I have called the store about twenty times.

Just to make things clear. The situation is not yet wrapped up. They delivered it in an inferior case that I paid for. Yet stated to have taken the liberty of changing it (for a cheaper model) at no extra cost. I asked since the case arrived damaged, could I change for an even better case that I originally paid for. As of now, one whole week later I am still waiting to know if I can buy that case. .. I did not know that there was legal reason why I could call a store and be denied permission to buy.

While I am sure they will reply on twitter and make me look bad, which I can not see. This is what happened.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:04 am

Well this is the reason why I thought you should NOT be apologising in the first place but you seemed to think it was all your fault and that you wished you had not complained?

Let me be very clear. The treatment you have received from PMT has been way below expectations and they should be moving mountains by now to provide you with the correct case, undamaged and at no extra cost as well as compensating you for their appalling lack of customer service. YOU should NEVER have to be chasing THEM! It's a bloody disgrace.

PMT are a chain and like many chain stores they present a glossy image in their adverts but the promise of great customer service often fails to materialise on the ground. This is a complete failure of the upper management at PMT. They should be all over bad customer service like a tramp on chips!

It's been my experience that store managers, area managers and company directors live inside a corporate bubble from which they have no concept of what is happening outside. Many of them are wholly unqualified for the positions they inhabit but are propped up by idiots at the top who have no business doing anything that entails providing any sort of service to the public.

It should be the job of every member of staff at PMT to ensure that ALL customers are given fast, friendly service no matter if they are buying a £10 pack of strings or a £1000 guitar.

If PMT don't get off their collective arse and sort this debacle out pronto they will find themselves stuck on the front of this site under the "Don't buy from here" heading and they will stay their until they learn what customer service is.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Greenbow

Unread post by Greenbow » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:54 am

Thank you Saul.

The story about that strap is a story in itself. (I have mostly a one person contact at PMT.)

I offered to pay for a guitar-strap that he offered me for no cost. This was to be bundled in with my guitar and case and posted out. Yet a whole week later nothing. He said he forgot that I had offered to pay cost for something he offered me free. (Therefor he had no reason to send out the guitar as I'd said for the environment do it all together.) He said he was waiting to see if payment came through, or if I would tell him I sent it. He said he forgot to check-up himself to see if I had sent payment for strap.

Meaning they made me wait yet another week for delivery, then they sent the wrong strap.

What I don't understand is why one week after a call and email, they don't know if I can buy a case or not. I mean on what grounds.

There's more though. Like the truss rod arrived wound out, so the neck was concave bowed. I bet whoever did that did not do it slowly or carefully. I am living on hope and warranty that the guitar will be OK. I mean it looks good all OK.

What bothers me is that this treatment is obviously all for my benefit. Otherwise PMT would not have almost 5/5 -star trust pilot scores.

Greenbow

Unread post by Greenbow » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 am

Then there are two of the machine heads with chipped gold plating. I have made them aware abut the clear chip on the fifth machine head. However I have not yet told them about the chip on the gold on the fourth machine head. I guess I am waiting for them to get in touch, but I should have told them already.

I mean I am not necessarily a fan of gold, and thought chrome tuners would be more preferable. However it's the only gold I own, and so it's nice to own. Plus it being on my guitar, it would be nice to be perfect.

Anyway otherwise the guitar is a beauty. It plays easily, and has a great smooth clear bell like tone. It needs its strings changing and I bought Elixirs. (The original strings were pretty much done in two weeks.) Meaning it will sound even better once restrung, than it did with the original Yamaha or D'darrio strings. I bought some Elixir light, but I think the next set I get will be Elixir HD light. They are just a fraction thicker in the higher note strings.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:09 am

Ok well first I am not sure why you offered to pay for a guitar strap that PMT said they would provide free of charge, which I assume was their way of compensating you for their lack of customer service? It's obvious they have a problem with even the simplest of tasks so complicating it by offering to pay for something that should have been free was not something they had in their customer service script and confused them no end ;)

You should NOT be buying a case. Firstly not for a guitar in this price range. Yamaha supply excellent hard cases with guitars at less than half the price your paying and even if Yamaha can't bring themselves to part with a case for their top of the range CPX then PMT should have stepped in and given you one free because of the way they have messed you about. They pay a fraction of the price you see on the retail label so this is not a massive outlay for them.

Your saying that the truss rod was wound out so the neck was bowed? 8O 8O 8O I have never heard of that with a Yamaha guitar, not a new one straight from the store or factory. Are you sure this is indeed a NEW guitar they have sold you? I can understand the strings may have been slackened off for transport but NOT the truss rod. If that is truly the case then they need to replace this guitar or refund your money. I would not accept a guitar in that condition, not at any price and especially not at the price you paid!

On top of this you have chipped machine heads? :evil:

I can only advise on what I would do...actually probably what most of us here on the forum would do. I absolutely would NEVER accept a guitar in this condition. If you were buying a used guitar with noted faults then fine but you weren't. This was supposed to be a brand new guitar...or is that not the case? If indeed it was a brand new guitar you paid for then that is what you want to receive.

The path forward is very clear. You have given PMT plenty of opportunity to sort this mess out and they have not done so. In fact they have compounded their already low standard of customer service by continuing to ignore your emails and failing to notify you of any updates/progress with your order.

Forget about the pluses of the CPX 1200 because right now it's irrelevant. Yes it's a nice model of guitar but there are plenty of other great guitars out there to choose from and better places to buy from. Tell PMT you have given them enough time and taking into account the issues with the guitar and the lack of customer service you now wish to return it for a refund and purchase from somewhere that will supply you with a NEW guitar and will keep you informed on the progress of your order. Tell them they have 7 days to respond.

I would THEN go to a decent guitar store such as Andertons or GuitarGuitar and order a better guitar for a LOT less money. The more you pay does not always equate to a better guitar. Personally as far as Yamaha goes I would be looking for the discontinued AC3r or the new A3r. both of which have a solid spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides which means that as with the CPX1200 every note will ring clear and you get those great harmonics that rosewood is known for and both are under £800 WITH hard case. Or if you want the same sound but without the electronics there is the rather wonderful FG830 which again has a solid sitka spruce top but this time with laminate rosewood back and sides but don't let the word 'laminate' put you off. These guitars are easily the equivalent of anything costing two or three times as much and for a shade under £350 they are an absolute steal!

Don't be so accepting of poor service and bad quality. You have rights as a consumer and companies like PMT need to step up and start providing better customer service. Don't let 5 star reviews on TrustPilot get in the way. To put these in perspective here are a selection of NON 5 star reviews.
pay for weekend delivery only for it not to show up! worse still the online team don't work weekends! seriously? if your goal is to be as incompetent as possible then well done.
Still waiting for half my order to be delivered with NO answer on my emails for what is going on...
After placing order did not receive email re dispatch which would have been helpful
Had to ring up to find out dispatch day.

Just ordered a guitar case on line which on site said in stock,had to ring again to find out as no email to let me know it had to be ordered from manufacturer.

First time I have used you spent £450 and would not be happy to use you again.
I ordered my amp on a Saturday and received it on Tuesday so the service was excellent but I didn't get the email saying I had paid and should also contain a tracking number neither did I receive a receipt for the amp
I would like to tell you all about my new toy. The problem is.........your order before 3pm for next day delivery is a load of crap. Ordered on the 17th and here l am on 21st completely guitar free.
I will give you a couple of days to get your act together. If I don't receive my new toy within the next few days. I will have my money back and go to a more reputable company.
I paid for next day delivery as I needed some spare cables for an event.
I purchased the cables before 3pm on thursday
They did not arrive on Friday.
Upon calling PMT I was told by an advisor they would arrive early on Saturday morning (the day of the event) but they didn't.
Terrible customer service! Second hand products sold as new!
I have been asked for my review. I placed my order on the 13 August and it is now the 18 August. Other than being told I would be informed when my package was shipped - which was the note received in response to my order - I have heard nothing.
This is the first time I've bought an instrument online, so I'm not sure if this is standard or not but the instrument hadn't been set up very well: the intonation is well out and there was a lot of string buzz, also a few screws on the scratch plate haven't been screwed in flush. I wasn't expecting to need to do so much work on it from the off.
My order was online for next day delivery but didnt turn up 5 days later. I emailed and called but aparently there was an issue with their system and although I had paid my order was never dispatched. Couldnt guartee a delivery time (I needed it the next day for a birthday present) but The guy on the phone was helpful in securing me one in store ready for me to pick up. Luckily Im easy going and close enough that I was able to drive there within the hour but had that not been the case I would have been left disapointed.
Selected next day delivery on an order and 3 days later it still hasn't arrived, patience is wearing thin
Needed to purchase an item very quickly for a job so I paid extra for next day delivery. I got a call 4 hours later explaining the item wasn't in stock. This was after 3pm so I was unable to order the item from elsewhere which led to me not having the correct equipment for the job. Very disappointing.
Staff not very helpful / knowledgeable when I telephoned for some simple advice regarding a stocked item. Very motivated to just get a quick sale. Disgusting!!!
Still not received my amp over a week since i ordered it? May be travelling by donkey!
In continuation from my feedback 6 days ago, and from latest feedback in respect of online service, i need to bring this to fello musicians attention, that after i provided feedback and followed their complaint procedure i still got no response, i had to take to writing to head office and I received a minimal reply offering a repair under warranty, i was also advised by a representative of PMT that Roland had caused all delays by not providing them with a rma, so i threatened to write to Roland and guess what, this was not the reason, it turns out it was not Roland, it had never been arranged, not only are they not interested in customers having bad experience, they are prepared to bring an extremely reputable company name into disrepute in their promise to deliver service?. My advise, consider online carefully if product has sensative components, and hope there are no issue, if box is damaged on receipt, send it straight back.

Their promise has resulted in me writing to Roland to raise their awareness on warranty repair on its way and what i have been advised. Not good PMT, i am furious, but so would anyone else.

I certainly wont recommend them to anyone, and this will be broadcast to my online music companions and reason fello music companions, i share this with you.

3 weeks later with a product still not working, arrangements still to be confirmed, PMT are only interested in still arranging a warranty repair. I will not use you again.

Empty promises, and I certainly don't feel like a rock star.
I could go on and on but I hope you get the picture? You are not an isolated incident. Of course you will find similar tales of woe with many companies but it's how you deal with problems that count and in this case PMT have completely failed to live up to the billing and I quote their own words here:
We Promise to Stand Out From The Crowd!
We Promise to Treat You Like A Rock Star!
We Promise to Be the biggest & The Best
The UK's #1 Musical Instrument Retailer
I think they better review a few of those statements? :/:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Yamaha CPX Guitar Forum”