Casio FZ-1/VZ-1 Aftermarket screen?

All Casio keyboards and modules.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SANDYMAN
Location.: United States PR

Re: Casio FZ-1/VZ-1 Aftermarket screen?

Unread post by SANDYMAN »

Hi to all partners in CASIO FZ and the others models. I am new here. I found this forum many years ago, but I decide to connect with guys because my CASIO FZ 1 had the lcd changed and I did the same as many. I sadly, after a good first try of blue foil paper change, disconnected the fragile ribbon cable. Is not broken but untaped or de-glued... so If I press the connector to the PCB or board then the characters appear, but I'm not a dedicated electronic guy and don't have fancy equipment. So I am asking to join the venture for a LCD replacement so I can buy it and mount in a simply way. Please count on me to be another CASIO FZ 1 Owner to have a brand new lcd working on my Casio Synth Sampler. Thanks.

Sincerely SANDY. 8)

RLMUSIC Project YouTube Channel
Disorder
Location.: Japan/ Tokyo

Unread post by Disorder »

The amber backlight looks really great !
Amazing work as usual !

dmitrins

Unread post by dmitrins »

FZ-1_green_f_m.png
FZ-1_green_r_m.png
Image Image Image Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I like the GREEN . .

Evenly lit and easy to read, even off axis . . .

A Great result . . . ((i))

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
dmitrins

parametric wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:07 am I like the GREEN . .

Evenly lit and easy to read, even off axis . . .

A Great result . . .
Thanks! Achieving this evenness was a real challenge :)

Screens in action with different backlight colors:

Under certain light conditions, amber may not look very good, but I personally prefer it because it looks like glowing vacuum tubes :)

SymphonicSamples

Unread post by SymphonicSamples »

Absolutely stunning work. Ordered and very much looking forward to getting my FZ-1 back into the land of the living :D

Vinappice
Location.: Spain

Unread post by Vinappice »

dmitrins wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:56 pm Ok, making backlight was much more challenging than I thought :) After several redesigns of the LED boards and testing various combinations of LEDs on them, I finally got satisfactory results with 18 green or yellow LEDs. Yellow with a green reflector gives the same amber color tone as on Tascam or Zoom recorders. I also had to make an interface splitter to test the entire batch.
DSC02108.JPG
Image Image Image Image Image
Hi. Great work dmitrins. I have a display that the wire bonding of the controller PCB is failing (typical) and I've been looking for a supplier for the Optrex DMF866 display but it hasn't find or obsolete. Is there any other compatible display? What controller and interface (8bits parallel) does DMF866 use? Do you have displays for sale?

Thank you very much for your contribution to the FZ community. :clap: ((i))

Regards.

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Australia

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

Vinappice wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:36 pm Hi. Great work dmitrins. I have a display that the wire bonding of the controller PCB is failing (typical) and I've been looking for a supplier for the Optrex DMF866 display but it hasn't find or obsolete. Is there any other compatible display? What controller and interface (8bits parallel) does DMF866 use? Do you have displays for sale?

Regards.
What is the screen for, or what is it in?
If you tell people what the screen is in you might have a better chance of finding a compatible replacement.

Rara 0-)

Vinappice

Rara wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:27 am
Vinappice wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:36 pm Hi. Great work dmitrins. I have a display that the wire bonding of the controller PCB is failing (typical) and I've been looking for a supplier for the Optrex DMF866 display but it hasn't find or obsolete. Is there any other compatible display? What controller and interface (8bits parallel) does DMF866 use? Do you have displays for sale?

Regards.
If you tell people what the screen is in you might have a better chance of finding a compatible replacement.

Rara 0-)
Hi.
:confusion-confused:
Sorry, I didn't write it. The LCD is for Casio FZ1. I have thought that it is understood that if I write in this thread it is for FZs & VZs.

Apologies.

Regards.

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Australia

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

Vinappice wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:32 am
Rara wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:27 am

Regards.

Rara 0-)
Hi.
:confusion-confused:
Sorry, I didn't write it. The LCD is for Casio FZ1. I have thought that it is understood that if I write in this thread it is for FZs & VZs.

Apologies.

Regards.
A bit of misunderstanding from me. I am not familiar with optrex making screens for an fz1 (or any other casio),
which is why i asked what the screen was in.
Screens in FZ1 were made by Casio. They use the same LCD used in the FX series graphing calculators of the time.

Rara 0-)

Vinappice

Yes rara, lcd is relatively custom LCD.
It is a curious fact, I have looked at the FX calculators and it is the same!
I have asked because I have seen that friend Dmitrins has managed to integrate an Optrex LCD. (in the post I accompanied photos).
So I look for some information or "light". Bonding technology is not a good ally, especially when it started.
:(
Thank you.
Regards.

dmitrins

That's right, the DMF668 (VZ1, all rack FZ/VZ Casios) is basically the same display as the custom one in the FZ1 but I don't think this particular model was ever available on the market as a general purpose graphic LCD. Rather it was a custom module designed for Casio by Optrex and the main idea was to reuse the same Hitachi HD44350 chipset that was probably designed specially for Casio calculators as they have math symbols in their character generator table.
The HD44350 takes 4-bit parallel data and 2-phase external clock, multi-byte commands followed by data. You won't find anything even close in modern LCD controllers.
I plan to ship all requested displays in october-november and finally place some on ebay/reverb to get rid of this queueing BS.
I'll let you know when I'm ready to ship one for you.

AmigaSampler
Location.: Sweden

Unread post by AmigaSampler »

Hello everyone!
Another newbie to this forum :shifty:

@dmitrins: is there still a possibility to make an order for two units? And will it work with FZ-10M?
I managed to get hands on two FZ-10M recently and did the EL foil replacement to one of them and you can figure out what happend :roll:
Scrambled/lost pixels on the upperside of display (those tiny sensitive rubber strips attached to glass display) got placed wrong I guess.
I've been searching the web for a solution like everyone else here and I finally found this amazing work!

Hopefully you have two more units to sell or do I need to wait until you put them out on ebay/reverb as you mentioned?
Anyway, thanks for a tremendous good work!

dmitrins

AmigaSampler wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:12 am @dmitrins: is there still a possibility to make an order for two units? And will it work with FZ-10M?
I managed to get hands on two FZ-10M recently and did the EL foil replacement to one of them and you can figure out what happend
Scrambled/lost pixels on the upperside of display (those tiny sensitive rubber strips attached to glass display) got placed wrong I guess.
I've been searching the web for a solution like everyone else here and I finally found this amazing work!
Hello and welcome. The display discussed in this topic isn't directly compatible with models other than the FZ-1.

There is a topic about its adaptation to VZ-1, VZ-10M, FZ-10M, FZ-20M
Any information about Optrex displays (dimensions, photos) will be useful for creating a version for these models.
Last edited by dmitrins on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmitrins