parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: Genos multitrack audio recording

Unread post by parametric »

Yes indeed it would - at £1000 . . . .

Its disconcerting that we ended up with NO IDEA where all that went . . . ?

Unless the 1000 quid was a smokescreen . . . . . :roll:

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
RLMUSIC Project YouTube Channel
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

My guess is that Yamaha have a two or three year development cycle so what we discussed back then would only be bearing fruit right now. Although the next big event is not until Winter NAMM in Jan 2019. Perhaps we will finally see something then and maybe spot some of the things we talked about :)

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
MaFaKeys

Unread post by MaFaKeys »

To come back to the subject....
I know how midi works! I just want the great functionality, effects and sounds of the Genos to work the way intend to work without having to use a a DAW on the computer. I have tweaked the midi file in such a way that I applied the great effects that Genos offers to the individual instruments to make them sound great based on the "Genos soundcard". They added multirecording, not for nothing. It would have been great if I could initially record the audio to the first channel and then add vocals to the dub channel.
Unfortunately, I think that the Genos operating system doesn't have enough power to process the 16 tracks of the midi file with the effects applied in real time, which causes the audio recording in the Genos to not record the audio correctly.
Hopefully somebody at Yamaha will read this and look into this and see if it is just software related or that it is truly operating system related.

Yamaha Clavinova CVP-505, Yamaha Genos, UR 242, Cubase LE AI Elements, Yamaha Motif XS8, Hammond XB1
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I understand your disappointment that the Genos is failing to do what you "understood" it was supposedly able to do . . . .

Even more so, as the high price you paid was also meant to lessen the chances of disappointment . . . . :roll:

The term "Multirecording" is indeed "alluring" and you rightly supposed that you could just get on with your work . . . ?

The problem from Yamaha's POV I guess is that, at SOME point, the Project leader has to draw a line under the feature-set included in

that term "Multirecording" - and pass it out to the SW engineers to turn THAT LIST into Reality (Make sure it ALL works) . . .

AT THAT price point - I would expect it all to work.

IMO, purchasers of the Genos will not generally be content to just play the Presets and do little else?

If multi-track recording is offered - OF COURSE - you will want to to add the extensive effects the Genos provides - to your compositions.

WHY - would you NOT then want to record them . . . ?

Hopefully a firmware update will sort this out - surely?

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I agree completely. If Genos offers multi-track recording it needs to do exactly that without caveats. Otherwise what's the point? Might as well use a DAW.

It's incredibly frustrating when keyboard manufacturers list features that have not been fully implemented yet or may in fact never be implemented. Customers are buying on the spec they can see and really unless it states quite clearly that not all the features are yet fully functional I would say it is getting close to a case of misleading or false advertising.

I realise Genos would have been in development a few years ago but we have had very powerful computers for quite some time that can easily handle recording multiple tracks WITH effects so there are no excuses for Genos not being able to do the same thing.

I REALLY hope this is just a software issue and that the hardware is indeed up to the task.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
MaFaKeys

Thanks Saul/Parametric.
Let's hope that this will indeed be solved in a software update. How do we bring this to the attention of Yamaha?

Yamaha Clavinova CVP-505, Yamaha Genos, UR 242, Cubase LE AI Elements, Yamaha Motif XS8, Hammond XB1
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

MaFaKeys wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:40 pm Thanks Saul/Parametric.
Let's hope that this will indeed be solved in a software update. How do we bring this to the attention of Yamaha?
Yamaha do occasionally read this forum and of course read many other too so I am sure they are aware of the issues. Unfortunately what they tend to do is first deny there is an issue, then via their own site ridicule users blaming THEM for the problem because obviously they are not professionals and don't understand the equipment. Then they go very silent and eventually admit there IS a problem and they are working to fix it. Not a great PR strategy but what do I know?

Personally I would engage with customers, especially ones who have just parted with nearly four grand and form a good customer/vendor partnership, working together to resolve any issues. Is that such a bad idea?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

drh

Unread post by drh »

Hi.

If your midi file itself plays OK with no 'noise' then the following comments won't be relevant for you.
Anyway, just in case the 'noise' effects are actually holdups...

The only 'noise' issues I have had when playing midi files on Tyros or Genos have occurred as the result of logjams of midi instructions at particular points in the song. This happens a lot in my recordings because I 'punch in' a lot. Going into the 'SysEx' channel in 'Step Edit', I often find long strings of 'XGPrm' and other commands at particular points in the song. These can cause holdups in playback while the system deals with them each in order. No doubt they are there for a good reason. However, I have found that deleting them cures the holdups with no marked effect on song quality that I can hear.

MaFaKeys

Back to the subject: The midi file has no issues playing and Yamaha has not addressed the issue. I installed v1.4 software update and the issue remains.

MaFaKeys

After installing v1.41, the issue remains. It’s very frustrating and makes audio recording with the Genos useless for me.

MaFaKeys

Somebody suggested that I might have an issue with the keyboard itself, something bad.
I even get the (random) distortion with playing back an audio recording when only recording a 1 midi track to audio.

johnmanoahs

Unread post by johnmanoahs »

I recently created a YouTube video on Yamaha Genos MIDI Multi Recording - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4gOd4498dw
If at all that helps!
Last edited by Macke on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Properly embedded youtube clip

MaFaKeys

That’s a nice video on how to create a midi song recording. And it all plays back nicely, so does mine.
Now, try the next thing: load your midi file and try to record your song to audio within the genos through the audio recording option. Once the audio recording is done, play it back.
Does it play back normal?
BTW, I get the same random audio distortion/hiccups when I assign an audio recording to a multipad and trigger the audio playback from there.

RLMUSIC Project
Location.: Australia

VIP

Unread post by RLMUSIC Project »

Late to this party but for what it is worth...

I have been a Genos owner since day one. I regularly use midi to audio recording using the Genos.

I open the midi song file, set up the Genos for audio QUICK recording, start recording and the play back the midi file.

I have not encountered any problems so far. In fact I have a tutorial on my YouTube channel demonstrating the process.

Let me know if you want me to post a link to the video. Not sure if I can just go ahead and do that as I am new to the forum.

Regards,
Richard

Visit my YouTube channel and subscribe to get a free copy of Backing Track Maker software for arranger keyboards
Get free backing tracks for Backing Track Maker from my website
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcueGK ... -HrRPyB5mw
Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Sweden

VIP

Unread post by Macke »

RLMUSIC Project wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 am Late to this party but for what it is worth...

I have been a Genos owner since day one. I regularly use midi to audio recording using the Genos.

I open the midi song file, set up the Genos for audio QUICK recording, start recording and the play back the midi file.

I have not encountered any problems so far. In fact I have a tutorial on my YouTube channel demonstrating the process.

Let me know if you want me to post a link to the video. Not sure if I can just go ahead and do that as I am new to the forum.

Regards,
Richard
Feel free to share your youtube tutorial. If you're not allowed to yet, please share the YT video id (part after the /) here and we can help embed it for you.

//M