HP Pavilion 15-N278SA Laptop Upgrade

User repairs of various equipment. Guides, tips and tutorials.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

HP Pavilion 15-N278SA Laptop Upgrade

Unread post by parametric »

Not really a repair, but I felt that after 6 years, the internal (1TB) HD would be good to replace with an SSD . . . .

I went for a pair of 500Gb SSDs (WD Blue)

As I use this for MUSIC, I thought it would be sensible to replace the CD/DVD RW with a second SSD . . . . .

The CD/DVD Drive can be reinstated easily if necessary . . . .

First task was to deactivate various SW back to the user accounts on the iLok Cloud . . . . . .

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT where iLoks are involved . . . .

The Pavilion is not a bad machine, but it's quite old - 1.6GHz AMD quad core/8Gb Ram - and came with Win8.1 (Ugh) . . . . .

I upgraded it FREE to Win10 Home - So, I had a worry . . . .

Fortunately, when new, I created the two restoration DVDs at that time - and I KNEW WHERE THEY WERE . . . . :o

After the upgrade to Win10 - I also created a USB recovery media - which I also had by me . . . .

The WORRY was - Could I reinstall to SSD using the USB recovery media to Win10? . . . . . .

OR would I have to go through the misery of restoring Win8.1 FIRST ? In order to retain the Windows activation . . . . .?

In the absence of any online WISDOM on this - I went the long way round via Win8.1

So I have Win10 Home activated - and all my NI stuff and Reaper files back in place . . . .

The actual take-apart

To HP's credit - ALL the necessary documentation and "How-tos" are available - and very clearly explained,

both User-upgrades and Service-upgrades.

The CD/DVD Drive is easily removable, as is the Memory and WiFi card . . . . .

The System Drive is not so easy, living as it does bottom right, underneath the top panel/Keyboard . . .

The Back, Top and Keyboard need to be removed. NOT actually difficult, but time consuming . . . .

There were only three sizes of screws involved. The bottom used all the same size M2.5 x 6.5mm.

The internal top cover (under the keyboard) - M2.5 x 3.0mm, and the three M2 x 1.5mm screw inside the mouth

of the CD/DVD

Various thin-foil ribbons needed disconnecting (Power-on), (Touch-Pad), (Keyboard), (Hard Drive) to separate

some components.

Again - to their credit - the screw-sizes were invariably stamped into the metal/Plastic near the holes . . . .

I had previously bought 2nd Drive caddies (£5.85) off ebay to replace the CD/DVD - to hold the extra SSD . . . . .

Being my first foray INSIDE a Laptop, I was naturally nervous - but the upgrade went smoothly.

I had NO SCREWS left, at the end. (Y) I seemed to have broken nothing - and everything worked.

I loaded up some of my larger sessions in Reaper with lots of VSTs and all was smooth with no glitching . . . .

Reinstallations of my NI content plus all the Win10 updates did take around a couple of Days, but all in all,

The Machine Boots a bit quicker and everything seems to be behaving . . . . .

Sorry there is no Pics though - I was too much on tenter-hooks to do any . . . . :doh:

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris