Yamaha EX5R Knobs non-responsive - Troubleshoot?

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

rocknpop
Location.: United States

Yamaha EX5R Knobs non-responsive - Troubleshoot?

Unread post by rocknpop »

hey guys - looking to buy (yet one more) used EX5R but the rotary knobs are not functioning. They do not move the value in any of the screens and they do not send/generate a MIDI signal. Any idea what can be going on and if it's worth buying the rack as is?

Rabbit Tree Studio
EB5AGV

Re: Yamaha EX5R Knobs non-responsive - Troubleshoot?

Unread post by EB5AGV »

rocknpop wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:20 pm hey guys - looking to buy (yet one more) used EX5R but the rotary knobs are not functioning. They do not move the value in any of the screens and they do not send/generate a MIDI signal. Any idea what can be going on and if it's worth buying the rack as is?
I would say it depends a lot on asking price. It maybe fixable (should look at schematics in detail) and if the rest is OK, you may grab a bargain :dance:

Jose Gavila

Yamaha U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, 2x TG77, SY99, SPX990, SY85, A3000, 2x AN1x, EX5, 2x EX5R, EX7, FS1R, MOTIF RACK XS, MOX8, 2x Montage 6 (B & WH), Genos (and 1992' FJ1200 :mrgreen: )

Akai S5000
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments 2, Analog Lab 4
Casio CT-X5000
Kawai K1, K1-II, VPC1
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack, Triton Le 76, TR Rack
Modartt Pianoteq 6 Stage
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, Maschine Mk3, Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2
Novation Xio 25
Roland D-50, JV-1080, U-220, XV-3080, XV-5080
Steinberg CC121, Cubase Pro 10.5, The Grand 3
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
UVI Key Suite Bundle Edition, String Machines 2
rocknpop

Asking price is $400 plus shipping. I may just do it... just want to know if I can actually fix the knobs.

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Unread post by jima »

All knobs non-functional suggests a board failure of some sort. You night be lucky if it is an internal ribbon connector broken loose but the probability of that is low. Can you get the diagnostics run?

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
rocknpop

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I have the technical manual to send to him so I could get the diagnostics run but after spending an hour FaceTime troubleshooting the rack I don’t think I can ask the seller for another step by step session. He said he’d sell as is for $400 + shipping.

I think it’s a bit of a risky situation, albeit, we tested everything else and it operated fine.

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Unread post by jima »

OK, but the knobs are critical unless you plan to drive it from a DAW so if you can't get the diags run it would be risky not to mention it is a bit of a high price for a rack with a non-minor issue.

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
rocknpop

Right, I passed on the rack for that reason. I decided to buy the full 76 key EX5. Now I'm coordinating shipping :)