Recording MIDI from Clavinova

Tips and advice on building your home studio, buying equipment and how to use it to best effect.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

goble
Location.: Mauritius

Recording MIDI from Clavinova

Unread post by goble »

Hi,

I have posted back in 2015 but I guess with new softwares it might now be possible.

I have a CLP-230 which am using with a Scarlett 2i2 to record on Audacity. Everything's working fine. However in order to get better sound, I was thinking that I could save data as MIDI. The CLP-230 (as compared to the CLP-240) cannot save midi that you can transfer to a PC.

I have connected the piano directly to the PC and installed the drivers. Then I have installed Midiculous, thinking that this software would be able to save what I play (my data) as MIDI. Then I could take it further. The software recognizes the piano and I can see on the screen what I'm playing. However the record button is disabled. I have searched on the net but couldn't find the answer i.e. If Midiculous Free software (as compared to the paid ones) unable to record / save MIDI ? If so, a free or paid software that can do the job ?

Thanks for your help !

RLMUSIC Project YouTube Channel
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wellingborough, Northants, UK.

VIP

Re: Recording MIDI from Clavinova

Unread post by SysExJohn »

Hi Goble,

Welcome back.

There is a free MIDI sequencing program called Anvil Studio at anvilstudio.com.
It may be a little OTT for what you require but it has a lot of on-line help with it.
Definitely worth a try.

There's also Cakewalk by Bandlab (used to be called Sonar), Cockos Reaper and a free version of Podium, to name but a few.
But I feel fairly sure a beginner would struggle with many of these.
If you go to Wikipedia and search for "Comparison of MIDI editors and sequencers" you'll find loooaaads!

JohnG.

UW500; 2 x MU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560; AN1x; Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Finale 26; Sonar 7 PE and CbB.
XGworks v4; SQ01; SOL2. Garritan GPO5; COMB2; JABB3; IO; Organs; Steinway; World; Harps; CFX Concert Grand.
javelin276
Location.: USA

Unread post by javelin276 »

Midiculous isn't a midi recording application, it's a teaching application. You need a simple midi song recording software program. There are lots of them around, quite a few are free. I would recommend an older, simpler program rather than one of the new ones, they have so many features now you can get lost easily.

One program I still use is Yamaha XG-Works from about 2006, which runs on Windows 7/10. You can download it for free here:
http://www.xg-central.com/archive/softw ... s_307E.rar
It does Midi file recording and editing and nothing else.

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wellingborough, Northants, UK.

VIP

Unread post by SysExJohn »

Yes, actually XGworks is what I use all the time for basic MIDI work.

The reason I didn't mention it is because some people have issues setting it up in Windows 10.
But in my view it's still one of the best around.

It can do a bit of audio recording too but it isn't the first product I'd recommend for that.

UW500; 2 x MU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560; AN1x; Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Finale 26; Sonar 7 PE and CbB.
XGworks v4; SQ01; SOL2. Garritan GPO5; COMB2; JABB3; IO; Organs; Steinway; World; Harps; CFX Concert Grand.
goble

Unread post by goble »

Thank you guys but the more I dig into, the more I get lost.

Before all, may be I should better clarify what I would like to do.

I would like to record my piano tracks into midi, so that I can edit some errors I made when I played, example a note played out of tempo. Then process the sound (through a plugin ?) to get a grand piano effect. Then save it to mp3 or whatever.

The software I found example : Neo Piano one, Versilian Upright Piano seem to be plugins. So I need another software such as Reaper and then load the plugin in there ?

:confusion-confused:

goble

Unread post by goble »

Hi all,

I'm using LMMS with Mini Grand and these are doing the job ! ;-)