Adapting new screens for VZ1, VZ-10M, FZ-10M, FZ-20M

All Casio keyboards and modules.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

dmitrins

VIP

Re: Adapting new screens for VZ1, VZ-10M, FZ-10M, FZ-20M

Unread post by dmitrins »

capacitance, thank you so much for all this information! (Y)

Every time I'm going to continue making this display, something else appears and distracts me from it. But there is little progress:
Image Image Image Image
I made the same oblong hole on the right to allow some freedom in distance between alignment pins.
You're right about that, injection molding doesn't guarantee exact dimensions, and we don't want to create any mechanical stress there.

The backlight can be easily replaced. Also, the silver display allows you to put RGB backlight instead of fixed color.
Several people suggested this idea before and I already ordered a pack of suitable RGB LEDs for experiments. :idea:

Loopmasters Sale
capacitance
Location.: United States

Unread post by capacitance »

Thanks for the progress update, looks promising!

Hey, great to hear about the RGB LED idea... I was going to suggest the same, but didn't want to press my luck. :)

Perhaps the RGB color mix could be controlled from software via the contrast input (DISPLAY + VALUE slider) something like:
  • leaving slider at max for 3 seconds switches to color selection mode (slider then moves through a range of colors),
  • leaving slider at min for 3 seconds switches back to contrast mode (slider then adjusts contrast level),
  • leaving the slider at any other position for 3 seconds locks in a new setting for the current mode (thus allowing ample time to move the slider to the min/max position without fear of losing the current setting).
...assuming that it's possible for the display software to detect such circumstances.

Since the software is in control of the display, I assume it would also be possible provide feedback/instructions on the screen (confirmation of mode, setting, etc.).

Either that, or provide some way to select the color via USB (though making a change would be more cumbersome).
Last edited by capacitance on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

swdfct
Location.: United States

Unread post by swdfct »

I'm very excited to see the progress that has been made on this display replacement, this is great work.

I would be interested in a replacement for a FZ-10m once the project is further along.

I have a working but dim display if any that helps the project at all.

AmigaSampler
Location.: Sweden

Unread post by AmigaSampler »

Awsome news and updates!

Many thanks and appreciations for this project goes to both dimitrins and capacitance! THANK YOU both!
I have two FZ-10M waiting for new displays so this is amazing news for me! :D

dmitrins

VIP

Unread post by dmitrins »

LCD connector and RGB backlight boards.
vz10m_conn_bl.jpg

entonio
Location.: Portugal

Unread post by entonio »

I wish I had learned about circuitry and knew the whys and wherefores of all those avenues, blocks and squares!