Yamaha destroys the competition?

Featuring a newly developed tone generator LSI, the PSR-E373 and PSR-EW310 bring high end sound to the entry level.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, SeaGtGruff

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Yamaha destroys the competition?

Unread post by Saul »

I saw a video by Jeremy See this morning in which he says that the new Yamaha PSR-E373 destroys the competition...in this case the Casio CT-X700.

Jeremy was a big fan of the Casio so if he is suitably impressed enough with the PSR-E373 to make that statement, Yamaha must have done something pretty spectacular!

Of course, none of us have played the PSR-E373 yet so it would be difficult to make a definitive statement about it. We have been promised one for review but just checking the estimated "in store" dates where they are now talking about December delivery, it might be a while off yet.

In the USA with a price of just $199 I can see that this keyboard could be a bit of a game changer at the entry level or for more experienced players looking for a good quality budget instrument. In the UK the price is considerably higher so maybe not so much of a bargain :(

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Re: Yamaha destroys the competition?

Unread post by shelly0624 »

I'm a huge fan of Jeremy See and get a lot of information from him all of the time. He keeps up with new models and his reviews are polished and detailed. He is a piano teacher and while he is an appreciator and reviewer of professional high-end keyboards and digital pianos, he also has great consideration for the beginner; both in the reality of skill level and also budget. Who wants to spend a fortune exploring something new? That's where I'm at. More of an investment is around the corner for me, but a low budget instrument that's not frustrating is a great thing to have. So I'm excited to find out what the Yamaha PSR-E373 will do.

I have the Casio CTX-800 and the PSR-E363.. so I'm anxious to make the comparison. It's obvious that the new Yamaha will surpass the 363 model in many ways. The Casio CT-X700 and X800 have always had more capabilities and the sampled sounds have a lot of clarity and realism, but there are sounds on the PSR-E363 that I have found very useful too and some have decent realism as well. There is a slant toward warmer sounds and sometimes they can even be a little fuller; it depends on the instrument. But the sound source is older and it was DEFINITELY time for an update. The strings on the CT-X are miles ahead.

If Yamaha can utilize the "sweet sounds", with the addition of sounds they have designated as "cool" sounds and "live" sounds -- the super articulation addition .. (and really fatten them up), then they will be a serious contender. The tones on the CTX-800 -- my main keyboard --are clear and real, but can sometimes be a little thin. Maybe it's just the size of the speakers..
But the PSR-E373 is apparently going to utilize some of the voices on more expensive Yamaha models. I've heard the guitar. Really looking forward to trying that one! There will also be realistic nuances that are normally achieved by striking the keys harder. Now there is a panel button and a foot pedal option. I'm wondering where that plugs in .. the sustain pedal port, or is there a designated one? A foot pedal would be less awkward for me.

Another YouTube channel I frequent is TheBradge. I found him because he was one the few who knew anything about my Casio MZ-2000, the vintage flagship keyboard from 20 years ago. He also keeps up with current keyboards and he has somehow gotten a voice list of the PSR-E373. It is definitely worth a look. He will mostly likely be playing the new Yamaha model when he gets his hands on one and I found his channel useful when he went through every sound on the CT-X700. That was a great offering for those trying to decide what to buy in that price range. Jeremy See will also be playing that keyboard when it comes out and covering the sounds and styles. But I would imagine that TheBradge will go though every sound of the Yamaha PSR-E373.

Here he is, as he highlights some of the more frequently used sounds. They sound interesting;

So .. drum roll.... here is another Yamaha entry level keyboard. Only this one, I suspect, will get a better reception than the last. If it ends up being everything the rumors suggest, then the Casio CT-X700 and X800 will get serious competition.. especially since the list price of the Yamaha PSR-E373 will remain at $199, the same as the 363.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I am really hoping Yamaha has nailed it with these new PSR's. From the little we have heard so far they are looking really promising. If they have put a really good quality acoustic piano sample in there I think that will sell it for most people. Although the other sounds are important, if the acoustic piano is not right I lose interest very fast.

Not liking the December release date some retailers are showing. I would say that is a marketing decision, not a supply issue. Although if there is another wider lockdown we may see that change. Guitar sales have been booming under lockdown. I wonder if it is the same for keyboards?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

I start Christmas shopping in October and November (earlier this year because we have a new car payment). Most people have to meter out the shopping expenses to accommodate the budget if they are buying for family. December is really late if you are considering it as a Christmas gift.. especially if they are including the arrival (announcement) of this new Yamaha offering in stores. Not everyone is thrilled with pre-ordering and not everyone buying an entry-level keyboard for someone else will search the internet for the debut of a new instrument. My dad, a guitar player, was a walk-in-the-store kind of buyer, as well as a few others I know. They want to play it. I would say, at least November to bring it into stores...

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I hope you are right Shelly. I also think December is too far off but, in the UK with next day delivery, people can buy within the first two weeks of December and still be sure of delivery before Christmas. I was hoping to get my hands on one myself a lot sooner, although I will have to buy it because there is ZERO chance of getting one from Yamaha UK :/:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook