Playlist

Yamaha Genos digital workstation keyboard

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

Paulhelene
Location.: I am from Sydney Australia. I have bought a Genos and will be receiving it on Wednesday. I only play at Church every Saturday afternoon. I would like to join the group to get acquainted to this new keyboard

VIP

Playlist

Unread post by Paulhelene »

I am new to Yamaha, I have a Korg PA3X which had a songbook all you had to do is to save what you had at the time in the songbook. I just bought a Yamaha Genos. The playlist got me baffled. Every video that i watched tells me how to use the playlist and change things within but not how to create a list of my own from my own banks. I have saved my first 10 songs in a bank I would like to know how to put those registration in a playlist so that when I get my next bank I would just append to the list. It is so fustrating everybody just keep telling you how easy it is. Can somebody help me. Thanks

RLMUSIC Project YouTube Channel
DWG

Re: Playlist

Unread post by DWG »

Congratulations on your Genos purchase. It is a steep learning curve, but stick with it and you will find it is a wonderfully versatile instrument.

There has been some criticism about the playlist, but I think the key to it is first getting your registrations set up in a manner that is user friendly for the playlist. I see that you have your first 10 songs in a bank. Whilst this is one way of saving songs it can then make life difficult for use within the playlist. Before you get too far down the road I would suggest that you save each song as a separate registration. You then have 10 variations within that registration to play around with - i.e. the 10 registration bank memory keys.

To create a new play list

press the play list button (bottom right hand of the six to the right of the touch screen)
press "new +" on the top level of the touch screen (towards the right hand side)
a pop up window will appear saying "this will create a new play list - continue ?"
press "continue" on the touch screen
press "list" on the touch screen - right hand side beneath "add record"
this will take you to the list of registrations which you have previously prepared. You must of course have some registrations before you can create a play list of registrations !
If you see no registrations listed you need to navigate to the folder where you have saved the registrations.
Select those registrations you wish to add to the play list. You can add multiple registrations or select all
press "add to playlist" on the touch screen. This will take you back to the playlist.
Now type in a name for the playlist and press "save"
Do not forget to re-save every time you add a new song or amend the order of the playlist.

I think the concept to remember is that a registration is equivalent to a song (provided you adopt a separate registration for each song that is). Your playlist is merely a way of gathering together various registrations (or songs).

I suggest that you do not rush into this. I find with a new instrument you need to spend some time thinking about how you will use your instrument. This is particularly important when storing registrations/songs. Too many in a single folder can make it all a bit unmanageable.

I hope this is of some help.

Kind regards,
David

RLMUSIC Project
Location.: Australia

VIP

Unread post by RLMUSIC Project »

Good explanation David. I would just add that, when you save a registration , you are saving all the memory banks (10) with one name. So, if you use each memory bank for a different song, you don't have an intuitive way of knowing which registration applies to which song. I tend to use the full 10 banks for only one song, even if I do not use all the banks for the song. This way you know which song (registration) you are loading or adding to the playlist. It is also good for saving different variations, fill-ins etc for the song.

The Genos has so many functions that you could be overwhelmed but luckily there is plenty of help on the internet for you.

We can help here as well.

Regards, Richard

Visit my YouTube channel and subscribe to get a free copy of Backing Track Maker software for arranger keyboards
Get free backing tracks for Backing Track Maker from my website
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcueGK ... -HrRPyB5mw
Paulhelene
Location.: I am from Sydney Australia. I have bought a Genos and will be receiving it on Wednesday. I only play at Church every Saturday afternoon. I would like to join the group to get acquainted to this new keyboard

VIP

Thanks for the tips. I did notice that when I tried to add to my new playlist it only added the one bank as a block not what I thought it would do. It would be a very long process as I only play at church once a week and I wanted to use my new keyboard as it is at least 10 kg lighter, getting too old to carry the instruments and amp every Saturday. Thanks again.

Paulhelene

VIP

Thank you so much. I now can built my playlist. I am so relieved.

DWG

Unread post by DWG »

I am pleased you are up and running. You will probably invest a lot of time and effort in compiling your playlists so, please do not forget to back up regularly on the GENOS. It only takes a moment to do.

Kind regards,
David