Strange/Unique Dynamic Guitar

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

ramalamma
Location.: United States

Strange/Unique Dynamic Guitar

Unread post by ramalamma »

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to learn more about this very cool, very strange Yam guitar that I bought recently. It is a Yamaha Dynamic Guitar No. 2 with a black label inside, 12 strings, and really interesting wood work. I can't find a peep about this guitar anywhere online. Has anyone seen one of these before? I am stoked to learn more about this thing! Thanks a lot!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.38.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.38.09 AM.png (717.7 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.37.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.37.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.37.51 AM.png (331.08 KiB) Viewed 340 times

Loopmasters Sale
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Strange/Unique Dynamic Guitar

Unread post by Saul »

Welcome to the forums ramalamma :)

Certainly an "interesting" looking guitar you have there!

I wonder if it has been customised at some point?

All these "Dynamic" guitars were I think, built in the late 1950s' to mid 1960s. This was before the FG line appeared. The earlier ones apparently do not have the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) symbol on the headstock. It was introduced on the guitars in 1963? I am not entirely sure of that because as you say, information is a bit sparse.

Does it have a serial number at all?

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
ramalamma

Hi Saul,

Thank you for the welcome and the info! I investigate for serial number and report back! Customization seems very possible to me. If so, it looks like they did a pretty nice job. The headstock is a composite of two pieces braced in the back with this metal piece (pics below).

Thanks again!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.05.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.05.37 AM.png (346.53 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.05.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.05.30 AM.png (400.04 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

I have never seen anything like that before!

Maybe Leon will have some info somewhere. He often has older catalogues etc that will show models not always listed on the web.

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Mimasu

VIP

Unread post by Mimasu »

Looks like a heavy modded No 2 to me.

Yamaha never made a 12 string Dynamic Guitar. Looks like someone put two headstocks together to make a 12 string guitar.

Tailpieces like that were never used on acoustics. The bridge is not Yamaha either. The No 2 as many Dynamic Guitars had a white dot on the bridge where the bridge was extra fixed to the top. These guitars were used with steel strings and these strings caused more tension so the bridge-top connection was reinforced.

Possibly that's why the top was modded too. Perhaps the 12 strings would have ripped the original top to pieces.

Leon

ramalamma

Thank you both very much! This info is very much appreciated.

The guitar has the serial stamp 25341.

Can I ask one other quick question? The darker laminate wood that makes the wave pattern on the front of the guitar is deteriorating at the edges... wondering if yall might have any suggestions for a clear coat or something that I could apply to the edges/front of the guitar to integrate the laminate detail more securely... or would you advise against that?

Thanks again!