Playing music is good for your mental health?

Music Stores reviews and links. If you post a link to your own store here please give us a link back.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

gustavowoltmann
Location.: London, Uk

Playing music is good for your mental health?

Unread post by gustavowoltmann »

as every one know that the playing music is a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. music playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.
What you say about this?

Gustavo Woltmann : UK based rock band guitarist :violin:
Loopmasters Sale
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: Playing music is good for your mental health?

Unread post by parametric »

Could not agree more . . . .

The act of playing to a couple of friends - right up to a huge Hall-full is inspiring and can be VERY addictive . . . .

Singing, (or playing) Solo to a crowd takes it all to a whole new level. First time is always VERY scary,

but when you get into it - it's a feeling that's hard to beat.

Music is very much it's own "strange creature" - only people who actually DO IT can understand what this means.

Music Therapy is a thing all of it's own, going places that drug-related treatments just can't go . . . .

I'm ETERNALLY grateful to my parents for starting me on Piano - and all that developed after that . . .

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Music has benefits right across the range from education to mental health and recovery. It has been shown to help stroke victims recover faster, slow and sometimes reverse cognitive decline and improve mental acuity.

Personally, it helps me solve problems. If I am working on server or site issues for customers and there seems to be no solution, I just play the guitar for 10 minutes and the solution usually presents itself. It is as if the music and the process of playing clears pathways that were otherwise blocked? I am not sure how it does it but it works (Y)

Music is a powerful thing. Not restricted by distance, language or culture. It is a force of nature which I think to a large extent is still something of a mystery? If ever there was an example of magic in the world I think music is definitely it :)

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
gustavowoltmann

listening to music can benefit overall well-being, help regulate emotions, and create happiness and relaxation in everyday life. it can enhance aerobic exercise, boost mental and physical stimulation, and increase overall performance.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

.. and this is why I went batty when I couldn't play guitar anymore. Hopefully learning keyboard will restore my sanity once again. :wink:
(However, sanity is a subjective term and some would say that I never WAS..)

It's been two and a half years. They say that stem cells are one of the few really effective ways to treat rheumatoid arthritis. (Your own stem cells injected into the joint). A little pricey.. but like anything that evolves past the new discovery phase, it may become more affordable for the everyday Joe in a decade or so..

In the meantime, keyboard is a very decent replacement. Not the same, but can still serve as a safety valve on the pressure cooker of life. :D

squishmusic

Unread post by squishmusic »

It certainly is!!
Back last year I was often irritated easily and stressed. One day I suddenly realised I hadnt listened/played any music for weeks.
Im glad this year (probably in part to being home alone more, so bored thinking what to do...) I now turn on the music before breakfast and it pretty much stays on all day! This is helped in part bcoz I got a new bluetooth speaker with USB and I have my entire mp3 collection (abt 80gb) on a 128GB card. So its on play random mode 10hrs a day. I think what stopped me before was having to choose a cd, or find a good radio channel or faff around with streaming via BT which sometimes cut out etc. This new BT speaker also runs off the main so no flat battery disturbing the music flow.
Anyway, I feel less stressed irritated - yes even with covidcrap - so music is the Best medicine indeed! <3
So yeah thats my random ramble :D

music@https://soundcloud.com/squishmusic
https://www.facebook.com/squishmusic/

//
Gear: Alesis Micron, Behringer TD-3-AM, Casio VL1, Korg Electribe ES2, Novation RemoteZeroSL, Yamaha DJX1, Yamaha PSS580, Yamaha QY70, Yamaha SY35, Yamaha MDF2, A&H ZED10, Zoom B1on :: iOS: iMaschine, iKaossilator, Nanoloop, Nanostudio, iMPC.
Gear I miss: almost all of what I got rid of! :D Nostalgic for my Yamaha TG33 & RM1X. Good days with them :D
gustavowoltmann

we have to look at other side of the mirror as well. listening to sad music at a high amount, has a negative effect on your thinking or thought process. The obvious notion that “happy music makes you happy and sad music makes you sad” can contribute to the fast decrease and increase of emotional stability. :violin:

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

we have to look at other side of the mirror as well. listening to sad music at a high amount, has a negative effect on your thinking or thought process. The obvious notion that “happy music makes you happy and sad music makes you sad” can contribute to the fast decrease and increase of emotional stability.
That's a fact. I grew up with a genre that was known for melancholy music. When I found my own preferred style, my mood AND my love for music improved substantially. :D

A lot of movies and TV shows would lose their emotional impact without music. Music can be used as a manipulative tool as well..
(thinking about the l-o-n-g animal cruelty and children-in-crisis ads). I can barely take it. I have to change the channel. Sad enough without the music too.

My son started listening to an artist when he was in high school. It was the most depressing music I'd ever heard and he DID slip into clinical depression. Obviously it wasn't the only reason, but it can make things worse. Without a doubt, some songs were playing when someone chose to take their life.

On the other hand... there are songs like, 'Chelsea Morning" .. and "What a Day for a Daydream" .. "Don't Worry, Be Happy" ... and "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers (I like that one) .. Is he really holding that note? ~~* A lovely d--a--a---a---a---a---a--a--y ``* 8O