Montage & MODX FAQ - a Series of Articles and Videos

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

RudyB
Location.: Netherlands

Montage & MODX FAQ - a Series of Articles and Videos

Unread post by RudyB »

I’m having lots of fun with My Yamaha MODX synthesizer. It has sheer limitless sound possibilities, combined with a wealth of options to tinker with. It’s a challenge though to wade through the 5 (!) manuals to get aware of all the options it has to offer, or to find out how to do certain things.

Once I figured something out I documented it as a ‘cookbook recipe’, just to remember how it was done. It was a small step to post these How To’s on a blog. Also, as a hobby, I like to make short videos with them.

So, this is the first article plus video of what intends to become a series on the Yamaha Montage & MODX synthesizers.

Of course the first thing I did was check out the incredible sounds the synth has to offer. But then I wondered if it came with the latest firmware. Turned out it didn’t, so the next step was to figure out how to do a firmware update. It was advised to format the USB stick on the synth, but it was not described how to do that. (I still wonder if this is really necessary, as long as we format with FAT32 (?).)

Link to the video on how to update the firmware.

Link to the article with the written text and images.

Last edited by RudyB on Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Always have fun.
Loopmasters Sale
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Montage & MODX FAQ - a Series of Articles and Videos

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for the info Rudy. Much appreciated (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
RudyB

02 Remove Screen Blur

Unread post by RudyB »

By default the touch screen of the Yamaha Montage / MODX synth has a blurry background, the previous screen keeps shining through. This is not a failure, it’s not screen burn in, this actually is a feature. Luckily it can be switched off if you rather have a crisp clean screen.

Link to the video.

Link to text with images.

Always have fun.
RudyB

03 Adjust Super Knob Brightness and Flash

Unread post by RudyB »

The Super Knob is fantastic. It can change multiple parameters all at the same time which can change a sound in dramatic ways. In a dim lit room its multi color LEDs and its flashing behavior can sometimes be a bit ‘aggressive’. This video plus article shows how it can be toned down a bit.

Link to the video.

Always have fun.
RudyB

04 Utility > Settings > System

Unread post by RudyB »

In the previous two videos we had a look at settings to remove the screen blur and to dim the Super Knob. In this article plus video we’ll have a look at all the other settings on the Utility > Settings > System screen.

Link to the video.

Always have fun.
RudyB

05 How To Find a Sound: Performance Category Search

Unread post by RudyB »

The Yamaha Montage and MODX synthesizers come with over 2700 sounds, ready to play. How can we quickly find a specific sound in this vast collection? The Performance Category Search function comes to the rescue.

Link to the video.

Link to the article with text and images.

Always have fun.
RudyB

06 Quick Sound Change via Live Set

Unread post by RudyB »

06 Quick Sound Change via Live Set

The Yamaha Montage and MODX synthesizers come with over 2700 sounds, ready to play. To quickly select a sound, called a Performance, we can create shortcuts on a 'Live Set' screen. This video shows how we can use the available Live Set Preset Banks & Pages and how we can create our own User Live Set Pages, each with max 16 shortcuts.

Link to the video.

Always have fun.
RudyB

07 Anatomy of a Performance

Unread post by RudyB »

When we select a sound, either via Category Search or via the Live Set screens, it often is not just one sound that plays but rather a collection of sounds, combined with multiple effects and a set of parameters that can be altered live via the buttons, knobs, sliders, the modulation wheel and the Super Knob. All the necessary data is stored in what is called a Performance.

Link to the video.

Always have fun.
RudyB

08 Five Ways to Tune a Parameter

Unread post by RudyB »

To change a sound we can edit the value of parameters, like a filter cut off frequency or a reverb depth. Many parameters can be tuned using the rotating knobs, the Super Knob or the Modulation Wheel. All parameters can be tuned via the screen display, using the Dial Wheel, the (SHIFT)INC/DEC buttons or the number input screen.

Link to the video.

Last edited by RudyB on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always have fun.
RudyB

09 The Performance Screen

Unread post by RudyB »

A press on the PERFORMANCE button brings up the Performance Screen. This screen shows the Parts (max 16) the Performance is made up of in a mixer format. We can mix the volumes or solo or mute Parts. Per Part the keyboard can be (de)activated, which is useful when recording or playing along with the sequencer or with midi files. Keyboard ranges can be set per Part to create keyboard splits. And last but not least, parameters that influence the sound can be tuned on this screen.

Link to the video.

Always have fun.