FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Shipping delays for new Pacificas in the US?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

TRest
Where Are You Located?: USA Hartford

Shipping delays for new Pacificas in the US?

Unread post by TRest »

Hello, new member here. I have been teaching myself on an fg800 using Justin Guitar as lessons during the pandemic, and decided an upgrade to an electric would give me more incentive to practice etc. I am ordering a Pacifica 311h, and have found that they (and most other Yamaha guitars) are presently unavailable through on-line sites. I would have liked to at least try one out in person, but most retailers in my area have zero Pacificas on display. Does anyone have a clue as to why they are currently out of stock and, separately, if I have made a wise choice for a "beginner" guitar?
balston11 Great Britain
Where Are You Located?: Preston UK

Re: Shipping delays for new Pacificas in the US?

Unread post by balston11 »

You have made a perfect choice for a beginners guitar. Just checked Andertons in the UK and they say delivery in 3 months or longer so maybe a widespread problem. I suspect that with people looking for things to do in lockdown taking up the guitar may be popular, which could be a factor.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

My guess is the delays are due to Covid. I cannot think of any other reason that would be holding things up.

Lead times here in the UK have been 2-3 months for some time now. I have asked Yamaha about it, as this appears to be a global issue for the company. No reply yet but I will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Oh and the 311H is an excellent guitar.

The Pacifica is such a popular line that if you cannot get a new one there is bound to be several used examples in your area. (Y)
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
TRest

Unread post by TRest »

Thanks for the replies. There are few if any 311’s available used on the big sites like Reverb and G C, and surprisingly few lower end Pacifica’s at all. Used Squiers are everywhere, which I take as a bad sign.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yeah, I would steer well clear of Squires. They used to be ok back in the day. I remember I had a Squire Hendrix Strat in the '80s which was quite a nice guitar. But a used Pacifica is a much better guitar in all ways. By the way, have you considered a revstar RS320? Just another "Yamaha" option.

You may have to look to something else other than a Yamaha. Jackson, ESP, Schecter etc?
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
TRest

Unread post by TRest »

At that price point ($399) the Revstar and 311h vary greatly, the 311 has upgraded tuners and nut, and Alnico pickups. I believe the base Revstar has ceramic pickups, standard hardware, and doesn’t have the p90 either. I’ve read so much about the build quality on Yamahas that I would rather stick with it. I ordered Friday when the dealer website said it would be available on 3/15, they changed that today to 4/21.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

The quality of Yamaha guitars "used" to be high but over the past couple of years, something has changed. There are now more, shall we say, less than perfect? guitars making it out of the factory than should be the case.

I understood that you were moving from an FG800 to an electric in order to give yourself more incentive to practice? The revstar would more than meet that brief. If however, you are looking at a certain sound, pickup configuration etc then yes, perhaps the Pacifica is the one for you,
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook