DX7 mk1 Membrane replacement

This section is for all variants of the Yamaha DX series. DX1/DX100/DX11/DX21/DX27/DX27S/DX5/ DX7/DX7IID/DX7IIFD/DX7S/DX9/TX81Z/TX7

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

m74uk

Re: DX7 mk1 Membrane replacement

Unread post by m74uk »

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve added them in

First mock up and trial fit to the keyboard.
A couple of adjustments to make but overall quite happy.

Quite liking the colours but once I’ve fine tuned the positions I’m going to change the colours to the actuals as best as I can.

Fonts aren’t exactly the same but close enough and slightly different enough to bring a modern feel to it.

Still debating wether to leave the Memory Cartridge text on it or not.

Won’t be able to get any mock ups made until after the lockdown I expect

Feedback welcome
Attachments
E479E913-E12B-498F-BEDA-611BB29711AF.jpeg
92935D23-B5AF-48FB-9E11-756E9FD98798.jpeg
1CD0FFFD-6FFA-4EB0-A14C-E2F87810850D.jpeg
CDC747E4-635D-472D-AF92-19D091A48BFA.jpeg
50DC3A27-4BE3-4407-9423-D059AE42E8DC.jpeg
29BE2748-A4AD-4A86-891C-50F81314E9FC.jpeg
Last edited by m74uk on Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loopmasters Sale
Kropjesla

Unread post by Kropjesla »

this looks great! good work
we might even debate on the red color of the storebutton. why not make it blue or brown to fit the rest of the colors?

let me know what your take is on that.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I really applaud you guys for getting this project together ((i))

SO MUCH in here is to do with maintaining these old venerable boards and prolonging their lives, that it makes this

such a worthwhile project.

With the new CLEAR lettering, it'll be much like having a new instrument and make navigating, a joy (again) . . .

I guess there will always be the arguments for keeping it "original", but WHY NOT experiment with new colours?

If it make things even more visible - so much the better surely?

As for the colours themselves - I don't know if "Pantone" was around when these were made - so it's probably difficult

to determine what the original colours actually were? THAT is probably DEEP in Yamahas Archives, if known . . . :roll:

It's this sort of endeavour that marks this forum out from all the others . . . .

(Y)

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
FailedMuso

VIP

Unread post by FailedMuso »

parametric wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:31 amAs for the colours themselves - I don't know if "Pantone" was around when these were made - so it's probably difficult to determine what the original colours actually were? THAT is probably DEEP in Yamahas Archives, if known . . . :roll:
The last paragraph of this article might be of some interest... ;)

https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/design/synapses/id_009/

Rob Puricelli
FAILEDMUSO.COM SOS Podcasts
Freelance Music Technologist, Writer, Podcaster, Consultant & Fairlight Restoration

Yamaha Collection: DX5, DX7-IIFD, DX11, TX7, TX81Z, SY22, FS1r, CS6x, KX88, QX3, QX5, RX5, RX17, CX5M, TG55, TG500, EMT-1, EMT-10, MEP4, VSS200, UX256, DTXpress, DD-10
Those that also serve: Fairlight CMI IIx, CMI III, Akai S6000, Z8, S2000, MPC500, ME30P, E-MU EMAX II, Korg Z1, Prophecy, 05R/W, NTS-1, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, Alesis Fusion, Crimson Drum, PercPad, IK Multimedia UNO Synth, UNO Drum, iLoud Micro, Behringer MS-101, RX1602v2, Xenyx 1202FX, Roland SC88-VL, VS880EX, Digitech Vocalist 2, ESI M8Uex, Modal SKULPT, CraftSynth 2.0, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Arturia Keylab61, Propellerhead Balance, Mattel Synsonics, Stylophone, Stylophone Drum
Kropjesla

Hello DX-enthousiasts,

it has been some time, and I was wondering how you all are doing? are we still up for this project?

grantb5

Unread post by grantb5 »

Kropjesla wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:45 am this looks great! good work
we might even debate on the red color of the store button. why not make it blue or brown to fit the rest of the colors?

let me know what your take is on that.
I think the LOAD and SAVE button text should be a different color from the rest of the FUNCTION buttons text. Although one presses the FUNCTION button to use them, they are quite different in HOW they work. For one, they don't replace the active function that has already been selected. That is, the other Function buttons change the Function to the new button press. The Load/Store INTERRUPT the current function, but then that function returns after the load and store are complete. So they are only temporary states. As far as I know anyway. :)

FusionDP
Location.: USA

Unread post by FusionDP »

I'm new here and joined specifically because of this thread.

I recently purchased a very rough DX7 and the button area is wrecked. I had looked into custom printed membrane switch stickers but didn't see any prices listed on any sites so I assumed it was going to be more than what the keyboard is worth.

Is anyone making them or does anyone have a lead on a reasonably priced shop that can print 1 or 2 of these at a time?

Thanks!

Paul

m74uk

Unread post by m74uk »

Hi Guys,

Apologies, I’ve not been following the thread for a while and I don’t know there had been replies as I didn’t have email notifications switched on.

Update is I parked the project due to lockdown as i couldn’t get anyone to print the trials I wanted.
I then got caught up with other stuff at home so it wasn’t a priority for me.

Now that things have opened up a bit and I’ve cleared my feet I’ll pick this back up.

I’ve finished the graphics layout.
Next phase is a transparent print to check the positions are good
Although I’m confident they are as I measured, adjusted, printed, repeat numerous times using a set of digital callipers and Adobe Illustrator down to 0.25mm adjustments.

Once I’ve done that the intention is to get only a couple printed off in white and 3M adhesive backing and fit to existing case to see how it looks

Before I get a bigger batch I’ll need to convert to original DX7 colours and that’s were I’ll need help from here

If anyone can tell me the specific colours used on the DX7 I can get them emulated

Hopefully not too far away

Yamaha DX7 Mk1
Roland Juno 60
Roland D50
Korg M1
Korg 01/W (& spare motherboard)
Roland U20 (in need of repair)
Kropjesla

I'll try to send a mail to yamaha to try to get the original colors in pantone or something.
maybe they can help in some way.
but just estimating by eye I would say that the brown is aprox. PANTONE 4264 C
the blue is aprox PANTONE 2715 C
the red is aprox PANTONE 4058 C
and the green is aprox PANTONE 326 C
the white will be aprox PANTONE 11-0602 TCX

but this is just eyeballing so don't take my word for it.

helminsen
Location.: Norway

Unread post by helminsen »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and own a DX7 in need of exterior refurbishment.

Very interested in this tread and getting a new membrane for it.

Also interested in getting a full decal sticker set made as I'm playing around with ideas of getting the chassis professionally painted in a different colour...

Thank you!

Brgds,
Lars
Norway

YAMAHA DX7 MkI
Yamaha MODX 7
Roland D-50
Roland D-20 (for sale)
Ensoniq SQ1 Plus
Kropjesla

Hello everyone,

I got a reply from Yamaha!
They were really interested in the project, however there's no data regarding the colors of the DX7
they were made within the factory, but no rall or pantone numbers as we already feared...

well, I will try to get some color-samples (real ones, not digital) to compare with my DX7
and try to work out what to use.

i'll be back

Stay safe!

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

A bit of a long shot BUT . . . . .

Here in the UK, Shops that sell Paint tend to have SCANNERS which can sample - a paint fragment, a piece of fabric

or whatever in order to mix a paint of THAT colour . . . .

OK - you're not wanting to PAINT your DX7, but it just might be that the Shop's Software can cross-reference

to PANTONE - or at least the nearest . . . . .

Might be worth making friends with the guy and buy him a beer if he can do this for you :think:

All you need is a transportable piece of your DX7 with "those colours" on it. . . . . . :dance:

Just a thought . . .

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Kropjesla

don't wory

a friend of mine works in the printing industry (everything from paper to cars)
so I'm pretty sure he will be able to help me with that.
if not I can alsways go to my local hardwarestore and collect a bunch of color samples to make a comparison.

thanks for the idea though

Kropjesla

Hey everyone,

I borrowed a color guide from pantone and made comparisons with my DX7.

I tried to get as close as I could.
These are the colors I found:

Green = Pantone 808C
Red = Pantone 177C (wich is actually more like a pink or salmon)
Blue = Pantone 271C
Brown = Pantone 470U
Darkbrown (the background) = Pantone 440C

unfortunately there were no whites in the colorguide.
I don't know if that's a real issue though
looking at my DX7 I notice that "YAMAHA DX7" has some metalic in its color.
while the letters for the inputs have a little more brown in them just as the algorithms
then again the letters and prints for pitch bender and modulation are really just white.
is that the same on your models?

I'm not sure how close to the above colors we can get with modern printing techniques.
p.s. try a google search on the pantone colors!

stay safe!

m74uk

Unread post by m74uk »

Hi Kropjesla,

Great work on the colours.

To be fair, I plugged your orginal colurs into Adobe Illustrator and on screen they looked pretty close.
(I know the screen can be different from reality but a good starting point...see screenshot attached)

I tried using an iPphone and an app but they didnt look as good.

I'll try your updated colurs and let you know how they go but to be honest, if you're using a colour guide, they'll probably be good enough for a trial.
(I'm particualrly struggling with the Dark Brown background. Can't seem to get it right on screen)
As for the white, I'm toying with an off white/cream colour (C0%, M2%, Y12%, K9%), RGB(233, 229, 205), #E9E5CD
Have a look at that and let me know what you think although the print is so small I'm not sure anyone would notice the difference.

I've had my quotes back and they're coming out a lit more expensive than I would've liked.
Depending on quantity, unit costs to me can be upto £30 GBP if I get 25 off made.
You have to factor in an inital transparent sample to check alignement, actual print samples to sign of on the colour, set up charges, VAT and delivery
(Thats getting them digatally printed onto a Polycarbonate base, Laser cut and then adhesive applied)
(Total thickness 0.375mm-0.5mm which is in line with current membrane)

I'm still working on a couple of options but next stage will be about generating interest from the Community to justify costs of production

Thanks again
Kropjesla wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:36 pm Hey everyone,

I borrowed a color guide from pantone and made comparisons with my DX7.

I tried to get as close as I could.
These are the colors I found:

Green = Pantone 808C
Red = Pantone 177C (wich is actually more like a pink or salmon)
Blue = Pantone 271C
Brown = Pantone 470U
Darkbrown (the background) = Pantone 440C

unfortunately there were no whites in the colorguide.
I don't know if that's a real issue though
looking at my DX7 I notice that "YAMAHA DX7" has some metalic in its color.
while the letters for the inputs have a little more brown in them just as the algorithms
then again the letters and prints for pitch bender and modulation are really just white.
is that the same on your models?

I'm not sure how close to the above colors we can get with modern printing techniques.
p.s. try a google search on the pantone colors!

stay safe!
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-22 121203.jpg
Screenshot 2020-10-22 121203.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 423 times

Yamaha DX7 Mk1
Roland Juno 60
Roland D50
Korg M1
Korg 01/W (& spare motherboard)
Roland U20 (in need of repair)