SY99 Battery Replacement

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

rusty-m

Re: SY99 Battery Replacement

Unread post by rusty-m »

parametric wrote:Hi rusty-m,

Do you have any tech-savvy mates who might do this for you if you open her up?

I sympathize with your reticence towards soldering if you've not done any before.

Has your 99 already stopped working? Its not a board I know, but my 85 issues a <low battery> warning in the display, before it actually stops working.

If you have time before this repair - try and acquire a pcb from an old dvd player or anything similar that has some discreet components on it - and just practice unsoldering and resoldering a component or two . . . .

That will get you more familiar with how it feels.

I would recommend installing sockets in your case - as they are not so easily damaged by too much heat during soldering. Batteries with legs (like the ones you will be removing) are not so tolerant.

Once sockets are installed - you'll simply be installing normal coin cells - which is a breeze . . . .

The important thing is to take it slow and easy. This job is extremely do-able.

Practicing a bit, as I have suggested will demystify the process and build your confidence.

I was lucky enough to do some soldering in my previous "life" but am not an expert by any means.

I managed to do this task on my SY85 successfully.

We'll be here if you have any questions 8)

Best Regards

parametric
No, Parametric, I'm pretty lucky at the moment, no warning at all, and I hope that will last as much as possible (lifetime? :lol: ).
I just don't like the idea that I could trash my whole keyboard for a soldering mistake / whatsoever.

I admit being too harsh, though, and the job itself seems not too hard.
In past I also had soldering experiences, but I'm bit rusty in it too... :wink:

Loopmasters Sale
rusty-m

Unread post by rusty-m »

Derek wrote:Soldering isn't difficult. Just remember to hold it by the cold end! ;)

Parametric's advice is good. All you need then is courage to actually dive into your synth. Many have gone before you :)
It sounds like an initiation... :D

db7

Unread post by db7 »

rusty-m wrote:I'm also a bit disappointed that such a fine design of this synth didn't include a simple thing like a battery compartment, or at least a battery holder like you did in your mod.
So was I. Being a cynic, I attributed that to Yamaha wanting a monopoly on the replacement, so they could charge users however many £££s to have the battery replaced by a technician. Which, let’s face it, would be a trivial job for anyone with any soldering experience: replacing a battery is almost Soldering 101, and I bet I could open the case and unseat the DM boards in ten minutes! In other words, charging a sum I don’t want to imagine for a bit of trivial labour. And now that they don’t support these synths, the user ends up having to do it anyway!

Someone else mentioned the alternative/concurrent possibility that the use of soldered-on batteries was due to theoretical risks that holders will risk data loss if the synth gets a knock and/or that the holder makes the battery more susceptible to oxidation. I have my doubts about the former possibility, at least if the holders in my SY99 are anything to go by: I’d have trouble getting the batteries out if I wanted to! And as for the risk of rusting, maybe it’s technically more likely in a holder, but I suspect the difference is not worth worrying about.

As for soldering, I completely sympathise. My initial experiences were disastrous, and after trashing the original screen from my SY99 as I tried to swap it with the new blue screen in my SY77 (installed by none other than Derek, when he owned it before me!), I had to have a friend do the rest of the work. As for the battery holders, I got a technician at a then-local computer shop to do them for me. There’s no way I was going to risk the mainboards!

Just in the last couple of days, I’ve gotten in some good de/soldering practise on an old computer, so I’m starting to feel a bit less powerless in that regard. :lol: But even then, it was simple work, and the desoldering side made too much use of what I like to call the melt-and-pull method. Soldering purists, unite in disgust! ;) And any desoldering more complex than a couple of pins, which I can physically pull, seems to be a bust. I have some ICs on another computer that I want to desolder and socket, but that’ll have to wait until I can pay someone else to do it, I think.

But it definitely gets easier. Just practise on broken/old stuff first. As I said, batteries should be one of the easiest possible things to de/solder, so maybe you’ll get confident enough and save yourself money and your synth a trip out of the house.

Luckyman

Unread post by Luckyman »

I just de-soldered a battery holder from and old PC motherboard which I can make fit. If I scrap another PC I will have the two I need !

Next time I'm passing, I'll look in Maplins and see how usable theirs look...

SY99 - SY85 - DX27 -XV-5050 - Jen SX2000 - Nord Micro-Modular - Cheetah MK-149 - DJX mark 1 (stop laughing) - Too many guitars - Too many reverb/delay units - too many computers - Studiomaster Mixdown 16-8-16 8-Bus analogue mixing desk with 8 channel expansion - 2x M-Audio Delta 1010 + Firewire 410 + 2xAudiophile 192 - a chair to sit on - no more space - ...but have just managed to squeeze in a Novation X-Station 49 somehow...
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

VIP

Unread post by Derek »

Luckyman wrote:
Next time I'm passing, I'll look in Maplins and see how usable theirs look...
I purchased my two for my SY99 from Maplin. The issue is getting the correct pitch spacing for the pins. I couldn't fin any, so just adapted them as per my guide.

Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
msc1958

Unread post by msc1958 »

Thankyou for this great post! I was fortunate enough to purchase a "powers up" but "no sound or lcd screen output" SY-99. I am hoping that it only needs the batteries changed in order to get it operational again. In the meantime, I can play my SY-77. These are such great synths.

rtt112
Location.: paris outside france!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we miss you!!!!!!!!
cheese!!!!!!

Unread post by rtt112 »

:/: YAMAHA PHILOSOPHY WAS TO MAKE THE WAY OF DOING THE MUSIC MORE OR LESS BETTER!!so i see that support is now growing and growing!!let's make more easy for yam's please do not hurt ingeniering philosophy from the 90's!!!! :music-guitarred: :music-guitarred: less wired,less short cuts)))))